1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 F350 4x4 Gear shift limp. (No it's not a personal problem)

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ducaticorse, Dec 28, 2012.

1. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Yard was slick last night pulling out with a load of salt, engaged 4x4 no problem, got out of yard, tried to disengage, no luck. Pulled lever back and forth a cpl times and managed to get it out of 4x4, but at the same time snapping something in the linkage. Now the shift lever is limp, as in not attached to the transfer case any longer. Anyone know what the part is called that I need to replace?

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If it is like the old style it has a big pivot bolt screwed to the case. You just have to screw it back in. It's a bear to get started and seems like it takes 100 turns to get it tight. Hopefully this is still the setup they use on your year truck.

3. jimslawnsnow

jimslawnsnow PlowSite Fanatic
    from mn

When I worked at a place not related to snow removal this happened on a 97? I believe it was like you mentioned. First a big guy tried but his arms were too short and thick. So me with long skinny arms tried and suceeded. It was a bear.

4. lawns4life

lawns4life Member
    from mi

This happened on a 96 that I used to have. It was the transfer case shifter linkage.. had to replace the whole setup due to rust. It was a b**ch trying to find one, no junk yards had one and the closest new one was two states away. I believe it was around $150 for the part if I remember correctly.

5. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I got under it, and it ended up being ridiculously easy to fix it. Nothing was actually broken. The linkage popes off the mount on the TC lever. I just popped it back on and used a little breaker bar to wedge it on tight.

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Those are the best repairs. Time, tool wear and some new lube!