1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 f250 v10

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by scitown, Dec 9, 2007.

1. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Found a 99 f250 v10 triton with 124000 miles. MM plow (was told it was rusty and had a hole in the top haven't seen it yet) the guy is asking $7500 for it. I think it is one of those to good to be trues. I am a chevy guy, never plowed, and know what problems to look for and what questions to ask when buying a used chevy. What problems should I look for on the plow and the truck? I have a guy that will come with me I just dont want to let it show how ford dumb I am. This site is great. Thanks in advance.

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

seems expensive for a high milage rusty work truck, you can be assured this truck has had its ass kicked sisnce day one, i would more then likely stray away from this one, unless he drastically lowers the price.

3. scitown

scitown Senior Member

dunno

I saw a picture it looks nice. Says he only plowed his driveway. Probably bull I know. The price without the plow is $3000 under KBB value. These are things I dont know. Thats why I am asking.

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

KBB is crap
    Try www.edmunds.com
    I'ts a LOT more accurate than kbb
    Ford V-10's don't get super mileage (12-14, 8mpg towing), but it's a heck of an engine, lot of power.
    Some of the earlier ones had a problem with something (I can't remember, I want to say valve springs, but that could be wrong, try www.ford-trucks.com (a forum)

That price seems about right. It's 8 years old after all. Everyone wants a diesel.

5. scitown

scitown Senior Member

yeah

KBB is crap. He used nada so I checked KBB. Anything I should look for? Front end problems floor rust anything else? What about on the plow? The blade? Anything I should look out for? This is not going to be a daily driver. I have a 2004 one ton chevy dump and my daily driver 2007 1500 silverado. I dont really care about high miles or gas mileage if it runs and plows. It will be a backup or second landscape rig the rest of the year. I am thinking in terms of landscaping and the plow is a bonus that way I am not banking on it snowing.

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

The superduty's (99+ Ford's) are tough well built trucks. The early v10's had some problem that I don't quite remember, but honestly it should have shown up by now with 100k+ miles on it.

Ford's tend to eat front ball joints, check the front end play and alignment.

If it all worked and checked out and wasn't all rusty, I'd jump on it.
    It's an 8 year old truck, it's not going to be perfect, but if it's solid, and it fits your needs, go for it.

7. scitown

scitown Senior Member

cool

Thanks guys, this and lawnsite are both great sites for info. The truck owner said he used it to plow his driveway. He also said that the plow works fine but will need a new blade eventually. I think this was a work truck not really a plow truck. He said that he hasn't seen any problems with the truck. I just hope they dont show up while Im pushing snow. Thanks again

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The problem that Lone Cowboy was talking about is blown spark plugs. It is NOT a big problem. Very few of the trucks blew a spark plug out. The heads only have 4 threads is the reason why. With proper maintenence the truck is great. The price is VERY good. Have someone run an Oasis report for you. The V-10 gets the same or even a little better mileage then the 5.4. The truck is heavy so the 5.4 works harder to move it. Like was mentioned go to www.ford-trucks.com There is a V-10 forum and also a Super Duty forum. Very good info there too.

9. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

I have a 99 f250 superduty crewcab v10 auto with 235,000. Starts everytime and has never left me stranded. Front end work (ball joints, tie rod ends) do tend to wear out but I've never seen a truck that doesn't wear those parts. The bodies don't rust out at least mine hasn't in MN. The inside door seams do have slight rust but nothing bad. The truck will get around 10mpg towing or not doesn't matter is my experience. The price stated isn't bad by any means, around here anything under $9k is a 2wd or sold in less than a week. It will be a good truck if you keep it maintained.

10. DUMZ

DUMZ Senior Member

I wouldn't say that I am a ford expert, but my day to day driver is a 99 f-150, my dad has a 99 f-250 and we both have had to replace front ball joints every few yrs without hanging a plow on the front. 2ct.

11. DUMZ

DUMZ Senior Member

forgot to mention we pound both threw the fields at the farm... maybe thats why they go out...

12. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Right I have 240k on my balljoints and they just need to be done now! The key is to replace them with greaseable ones. This is the first year of having a p[low on it though so I don't expect to see 240k miles out of the next set. Sounds like a good truck.

13. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Did you get it?

14. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Not yet

I haven't bought it yet. I am preapproved from the "Bank of my sister". The seller is slow getting back to me. I am going to look at it tomorrow. Looks like I will be missing the snow on friday, but hopfully not mondays. I talked to a machanic about it and he told me to bring it by before I shell out the cash. Thier is another one on craigslist for a thousand more but even in the pictures it looks like the undercarriage has a ton of rust. We will see. If I get it I will post pics. I am also looking for a used blade.

15. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Make sure to get at least an 8' blade for that truck.

16. scitown

scitown Senior Member

yeah

Its an eight footer on it now, I am just going to replace it with the same.

17. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Well...

The truck was a bust. Thanks for the help I think I would have bought it if I hadn't asked here first....Annoying clicking/ exuast sound. One bald tire (allignment). The guy seemes to not know answers to some pretty important questions. Oh and the truck had like an 8 inch lift, maybe more. He forgot to mention that part when I told him it was for landscaping and plowing. Thanks alot guys I owe you a beer for saving me some bucks. I am still looking, think maybe I will stick to chevy's.