1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 F250 trans help needed

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by x.system, Nov 22, 2011.

1. x.system

x.system Senior Member

Picked up a 99 f250 with the 5.4 auto 4x and the tranny is not working. I need to know if I can put a tranny out of a 06 with the same setup into this truck. I've found 2 different numbers when it comes to the tranny so I don't want to buy one and have it be the wrong trans. I'm looking at 2 trans from 2 different sellers and they each claim the trans is a different number although they look the same. I havn't owned a ford truck for about 20 years so I know little about them.

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Was it red f250? I would just rebuilt transmission.

3. x.system

x.system Senior Member

Its white, I was quoted $1100 to rebuild it, I can buy 2 or 3 used for that price and have it done by this weekend.

4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Do you really want gamble on it. I paid $2500 for rebuilt. Let me ask you question.

Have you thought of save $$ on parts but you never ever think what happened in future if that cheap parts broke and left you in bad time during snowstorm coming.

When you in plow business you can't GAMBLE on used parts and think it be 100% fine. What if it died in middle of plow. Customers fired you and hired other to plow.

Can you swap transmissions in 2 hours on ice/snow.

5. x.system

x.system Senior Member

I run more than one truck and have 5 other contractors I can call if needed, my trucks could go down at the same time and my customers would all be covered. I can buy a low miles trans for $500 and install it in a few hours. This truck could drop a trans every year for all I care if it only costs $500 and some time to replace. Now, I would be pissed if I spent $2500 and it only lasted 2 years, I like my odds better.

6. Shop's Lawn

Shop's Lawn Senior Member

should be the 4r100 tranny. Most guys that rebuild them offer a one year warrenty. I would look into rebuilding it then you know its good and who ever rebuilds it- they can swap some parts from the older c6 tranny into this tranny so its stronger.

7. x.system

x.system Senior Member

I found a 4r100, the other out of the 06 is a 5R110W, will this one work in my truck?

8. fordsuvparts

fordsuvparts Senior Member

99 only, check car-Part.com. i have 2 99 f250 5.4 auto both have had transmissions put in them from overheating due to plowing, they have extra tranny coolers on them now.

9. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

It would probably bolt up, however, I'm not sure about the electrical connections or if the computer would even control it. You might ask a local trans shop if the two are compatible. I believe? the 5R110W is also known as the torque shift. They are a great trans, but then again, I think the 4R100 is equally as good with a little modification. Good luck to you. If you end up rebuilding (witch it doesn't sound like you are) the 4R100, take it to a good trans shop that knows of all the mods to do to them. Also be sure to spend a little extra on the torque converter.

10. Shop's Lawn

1999 to 2004 transmissions should all work. the torque shift wont work with the new computer set ups.

11. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

No

You mean 2003.5. If you were lucky and got an '03 with a 7.3. Otherwise you were screwed with the 6.0 and TorqShift.

OP, no it won't work. Not without a bunch of modification and reprogramming the computer to tell the tranny when to shift.

12. Shop's Lawn

Yes your right-forgot they split 2003/2004 with motors/trans.

13. sparksrides

sparksrides Senior Member

I thought the same thing when my trans went on my 99 f250 7.3 and after searching long and hard I found one for $600 from an 03... not till I had booth tranny's out did I find the differences in the two. the one I bought had come from a gas even though the guy swore up and down that it came from a 7.3 so now I have this trans sitting in my garage(for sale) and I had to spend more money to have my trans rebuilt.

make sure the used trans you get has the same sensors on top (could have 1 or 2sensors on top one forward and one at the tail shaft housing extension) also check torque converter diesels have 6 bolts and gas have 4 bolts. These things ended up costing me extra money and I hope I can help you not make the same mistakes I made.

14. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Gas and Diesel trans are different bolt patterns and torque convertors. The torqueshift WILL NOT work in the older 4r100 trucks.

15. fordsuvparts

fordsuvparts Senior Member

Only a 4R100 out of a 1999 super duty 5.4 4x4 will work, please don't listen to the other idiots that tell you other wise, they don't have a clue. I wish only people who actually knew what they were talking about could post on this site.

The electronics were changed in the 2000 up model and they will not work, your best bet is a low mileage used transmission or a rebuild with a warranty.

16. x.system

x.system Senior Member

Thanks guys, fordsuvparts or anyone that knows, is there a way to tell by the tag on the trans what year it came out of? I have found a local contractor that has a spare reman for his 99 f250 5.4 4x4 who no longer needs it. I am going to pick it up in the morning. He doesn't have a converter so can I do a tranny flush once I install the new tranny to reuse my converter? I had to do this with my GM last winter and it worked fine, I just did another fluid/ filter change on that last week for the new season.

17. Shop's Lawn

Have to remember there is a early 1999 model that things are different from the later 1999 models. We just swapped a 2001 gas tranny into a late model 1999 gas truck and everything worked and fit like it should. No mods at all.

18. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I don't think I would reuse the old torque converter unless you are 100% sure it wasn't (or part of) the problem with the original trans. If it was a catastrophic failure (metal in the pan), I for sure wouldn't reuse the old converter. The 4R100's are notorious for bad converters (especially behind the diesels), and valve body bolts that work themselves loose, so I don't think I would chance it. As stated in a post of mine above, if your going to spend any money on one of these transmissions, you want to spend it on the torque converter. Just my .02