1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 f250 to buy or not to buy

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by scitown, Dec 9, 2007.

1. scitown

scitown Senior Member

I posted this in the newbie section first by mistake (i am a newbie). 99 F250 v10 triton 124,000 on it he is asking $7500 I think I could get it for $7000 doesn't seem like he will budge more than that. Anything I should look for while Im climbing around under it? Any specific questions I should ask. This will be my first Ford I have ever even looked at (to buy, I dont close my eyes when one drives by or anything). This truck will be primary plow and a secondary landscape truck. Not a daily driver. What should I look for with the plow set up anything? Help is appreiciated. Thanks
  2. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Check to see if it is leaking oil on the back side of the motor if so your head gaskets are shot. Check the trans fluid to see if it is still red or if it smells burnt. Check that hubs work and transfer case works. Check drive shafts for bad u-joints and slop. Check oil for antifreeze and open the oil fill to see if there is a white slop around it from antifreeze. Hope this helps Steve
  3. scitown

scitown Senior Member

This does help alot. I've never looked at a used plow truck or a ford. Thanks alot for the help.
  4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

f250man is right on. Check over the hubs very carefully and make sure they turn as they are supposed to. Check the manifold for missing bolts and that annoying "tick tick tick" sound you get from them. It's an expensive fix for a little noise. Watch for rusty places like muffler hangers, driveshaft area, etc... You know what's acceptable rust and what's not. Good luck.