1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 F250 Sd

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SteveR, May 10, 2007.

1. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I am having trouble keeping the seals in the back side of the hub assy. When they go once a year the axle bounces up and down. This only happens on the drivers side. Any help figuring this one out would be appreciated.

2. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I don't know what causes it but mine have just started to make noises to. Drivers side only. Steve

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You mean the grease seal?
    The U -joint may be worn and starting to bind chewing up the seal. Hitting a bump unbinds it and the energy released makes the shaft move too much in the seal opening.If you have the Dana 44 they go through u-joints about every 30k when you use the truck to plow. The drivers side is the easy one to change ( u joint ),the shaft should slide right out of the pumpkin once all the stuffs taken off the spindle.
    The right side you have to pull the center section ( pumpkin ) out most times to change the inner u joint. It's a 2 man job to get it out and in.

4. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

also, while you have the shaft out make sure it isn't bent. i had an old dodge that went through seals like they were going otu of style and finally one day when i yanked the shaft out and it rolled across the floor i noticed it was slightly bent.

5. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Hub

No bends or bad u joint. I replaced both the outer seals (again) and going to give it a try.
    Thanks

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

That truck has not been in an accident has it? Where the left part of the axle / frame could have been bent? Or the pivot point is binding? Not chewing up tires? You have both the axle c clip and the hub retainer bale in-place? No clicking when in 4x4 while turning?
    No vibration when in 4x4 at a higher speed?

7. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Since his truck is a 99 SD he does not have a D44, or TTB. His truck has a D50 straight axle. There is a serviceable needle bearing inside the hub bearing assy. This needle bearing supports the outer axle shaft. It does need periodic grease.

8. jtink2

jtink2 Junior Member

I had the same problem. on the back side of the hub bearing assembly thear is a needle bearing when it gose out it lets the axle to move and couse the seal to go out. www.ebatmus.com part # b-2110 $6.00.

9. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

I just replaced them in my 99 this last week while doing ball joints.