1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'99 F250 Problems??

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by nick4634, Nov 18, 2011.

1. nick4634

nick4634 Member

I'm looking at a regular cab F250 with the Triton V8 and an 8 ft Fisher straight Blade. Truck is 4x4 and has 70000 miles. The plow looks clean and rust free. Are there any special things I should look at or problems I should be aware of? Truck is rust free and the dealer wants 13000 their also throwing in a 5yr 100000 mile warranty which includes all the normal wear items that occur from plowing and the drivetrain.

2. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

I would look through the fine print of the extended warranty to make sure that using the truck for plowing isn't going to void it. Most manufacturers warranties will still cover everything, but some of those third party warranty companies are sketchy and will do/say anything so they don't have to pay. Offering to "throw in" a 5/100 warranty on a ten year old truck with 80k/mi (very low for the year, but age play just as much a factor as mileage when it comes to vehicles) that is going to be used for plowing seems a little strange to me.

That being said, from what I know about those trucks they are pretty solid. Just make sure the trans is good, engine runs smooth, 4WD works and all of the suspension bits are in order and you'll be good.

3. nick4634

nick4634 Member

Sorry I shouldn't of said they would throw in the warranty. It actually costs
    $2064 but if I paid their asking price they would make the numbers work, so I guess I probably could of gotten the truck cheaper but I'd like to have the warranty since it is an older truck. I've heard of sparkplugs blowing out of the top end and thats what I was worried about but the warranty says it will cover it and the plow will not affect the overall warranty.

4. JBMiller616

Is the truck regular, extended or quad cab and what trim (XL/XLT/Lariat)?

5. nick4634

nick4634 Member

regular cab xl

6. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

We paid $4600 for a 2004 F250 XL reg cab 4x4. All we needed to do was the ball joints on it. I would be grinding that guy something fierce for a better price if I were in your shoes. You work hard for your $, don't let him take it like that.

7. nick4634

nick4634 Member

Ya I thought it seemed high but the only other comparable trucks that I've found have been in the same price range. did you get a plow with your truck and what were the miles when you got it?

8. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

No plow with mine, it has 220,000km. They are a hard truck to find that is for sure. I am dealing on a 02 F350 diesel reg cab 4x4 right now, if it passes a inspection, $7500 and it is mine.

9. nick4634

nick4634 Member

Ya I'm going to try and work on the price a little but for this area its average so I was looking more for info on what I should be checking for and any known problems?

10. JBMiller616

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  11. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Have the ball joints checked and make sure the tranny is not slipping at all.

12. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

check the exhaust manifolds and manifold bolts both our 5.4s and the v-10 have bolt problems

13. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Warranty or no $13000 is steep for that truck. Especially b/c it has a plow already so you know it has been pre-abused. You could forgo that aftermarket warranty, that BTW is all profit for the dealer & sketchy warranty company, b/c that truck is old enough that major parts are plentiful in every wrecking yard. I wouldn't pay anymore than half of $13000 ($7500) then maybe 1/2 of what a new Fisher HD 8' goes for ($3000) to get maybe $10500.
    Now that I think about it over 10k for a 13 y.o. Super Duty gasser seems like a lot. Just offer $7500! Dealer is way over book on this.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  14. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Sounds like much to me
    Canadian here, I just looked at a 2003, f250, extended cab, long box, gas 5.4, 4x4, with 110,000kms.
    never plowed with & pretty clean looking.
    We passed on it but he dropped the price down to $10,500 Can.

15. nick4634

nick4634 Member

Well I bought the truck payed 10000 out the door. I might of payed too much but its wicked hard to find a reg cab long bed which is what I was looking for so I'm happy. truck drove great everything worked fine. no body rust and underneath didn't look to rusty for a 12 yr old truck. I'll try and get some pics up in a little bit.

16. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Congradulations on your purchase,
    Im sure its going to make you money,
    so good stuff.

Cheers
    :drinkup: