1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 F250 Diesel Trany Problem HELP!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Kelsey, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

Ok so first the ABS light comes on then the truck only has 1-2 and Rev.until you get up around 50 and let off the fuel then it will go 3-4 and works fine. Now there are no dash lights and the same problem it just doesn't want to go from 2-3 its throwing codes like 1-2 shift selenoid but that's it. Any help would be appreciated. It's a jasper trans with only 1000-1500 miles on it.
  2. Gumpy52

Gumpy52 Member

Try cleaning or changing the rear axle ABS sensor. Ford uses the rear abs sensor for the transmissions shift points.
  3. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

Thanks! it seems to have corrected it's self. I changed the oil and drove it and it just kept getting better and now it's fine IDK I will try that if it does it again.
  4. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I like the look of your truck with that Blizzard.. You should start a thread with some pics in it..
  5. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I will do that some time but for now here is some my uncle took Ken Brubaker http://blogs.fourwheeler.com/2/2151/ken-brubaker/index.html Scroll down to December 9
  6. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

ok it's doing it again only now on the 1-2 shift I have Codes
    po713 trans fluid temp sensor ckt. high input (I have a trany temp gauge and it never gets over 180)
    po781 1-2 shift error
    po732 gear two ratio error

If I floor it and let off it will shift but very annoying
  7. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

jaspers have a good warranty, well over your 1500miles....id start at a jasper warranty center.
  8. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

Yes they do this is the fourth one in less than 40,000 miles! I just wish it would work or I could figure out what's going on. The original trany had over 200,000 on it when the converter went and I had the whole thing replaced.
  9. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

sounds like you have a pressure sensor that is hanging up. Maybe had debry in it. Did you flush the cooler when you put the new trans in it?
  10. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

It was put in at a Jasper authorized service center I don't know if they did I would hope so.

I think I got it narrowed down to a bad solenoid body $200 and I think I am just going to fix it myself since taking it to the pros is the only time I have had trouble with a repair.

Thanks for the replies! I will let You know how it turns out.
  11. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

I would have to agree that the valve body would be what all those codes would have in common
  12. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

We've given up on the aftermarket rebuilds and gone to a Ford Remanufactured 4R100 that's now offered in a beefed up version right from Ford. We were getting about 50,000 miles out of the original transmissions, then started the rebuilt thing - and they just were not hacking it. I don't think we've had a single problem with these remanufactured transmissions from Ford. The peace of mind is well worth the few extra bucks.
  13. GB350

GB350 Junior Member

I don't know what the ford reman tranny's cost, but you might want to look in to
    a trans from http://www.brianstruckshop.com/ They specialize in only ford transmissions and are pretty much bullet proof. A bit pricey but probably the last trans you would have to buy. Just a thought.
  14. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

15. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

Go with Brian's Truck Shop over ATS, but I think your problem is in the wiring harness.

Check the harness from the firewall to the trans.--especially near the hydraulic hoses going to your brake booster. That hose has been known to rub on the fenderwell and harnesses.
  16. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

First things first- CHANGE THE ABS SENSOR. I have seen it cause really strange sysptoms like erradic shifting and speedo failure. Might be the best $20 you will ever spend.

If replacement is necessary get the BTS transmission. Install the 6.0 cooler (required by BTS for warranty) and you will be in posession of a trans you can sell before you push the truck to the bone yard. If you maintain it, it is the last tranny you will buy for that truck, and maybe the next one!:nod:
  17. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

Does any one know about what a BTS trans would cost? I have another 99 with 215,000 miles that I am sure will need a tranny soon Thanks!
  18. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

Thanks for the post! I don't have irradic shifting or anything wrong with the speedometer Second gear is just not there, the pcm tells it to shift but it's like second doesn't exsist.
    According to the scanner the shift solenoid is out so that's what I'm going to try. I hope it works!
  19. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

The BTS will be about $4600-4800 with the cooler, fluid, and installation or shipping.

If you have bad wires, you will still have a shift solenoid error.
  20. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

Thanks for the replies and I just wanted to let everyone know what the problem was. It was the wire harness that is part of the shift solenoid was bad so replacing that fixed it and everything works perfect again!!!