1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 F250 7.3 Diesel- Good deal?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by musclecarboy, Aug 20, 2007.

1. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Just seen an ad on craigslist. EXT cab, 4x4, 270k kms (167k miles).
    $10k. Wants to sell ASAP.

I know this seems very general but would a truck this age be a good plow rig?

Thanks.

2. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

i'm pretty happy with my truck how shes plowed last winter plenty of power . price seems fair for the mileage and age . don't buy sight unscene whatever you do .

3. musclecarboy

Is it a drawback to plow with an older truck? Will an old engine get tired and thigs will fail easier?
    Thanks

4. mike psd

from pa

let me tell you as long as the frame is soild no major leaks or trans issue . that engine isn't even broke in ! now if find one from like 350K then i'd say maybe rebuild time . but that engine is just getting good now . get some more info for us if going in on it . pics would be nice

5. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Things to look at are the oil pan and the trans. Ford diesel's have major issues with rusting oil pans. On the SD it requires removal of the engine to replace.$$$. The trans in the early SD had issues with the Torque convertor going bad. Easy to identify as a terrible rattling like marbles in a can at idle. Goes away when you drive and the convertor locks up. Also you need to make sure the truck is cold when you go to look at it. Might have glow plug issues if it starts hard. Injectors can also get damaged and cause a missfire when cold.
    If you are mechanicaly competent it is repairable as a DIY but parts can be costly.

6. musclecarboy

Cool....thanks guys. After my family only buying gas vehicles, I just get worried with high miles I guess. Thanks though.
    Another question, I've been looking on EbayMotors and there's TONS of dealers from texas selling diesel trucks. Would it be OK to buy from these dealers? Also, why does almost every truck have a MASSIVE front bumper??? I'll look like a fool pulling up with one of those things in Canada.

7. mike psd

from pa

LOL thats part of texas law hahahaha j/k

8. musclecarboy

LOL....i was just so surprised to see almost every truck with a big azz bumper. They all have a 5th wheel hitch in the bed. Is this something to shy away from?

9. mike psd

from pa

even tho most souther truck are going to be better shape because of short winter and no salt . i think personal your much better off sticking somewhat local maybe like 200-150 miles or so . the 5th wheel depends could be for a weekender camper or the serious hauler moving heavy loader ect. . i don't think it would matter as long truck is good running shape

10. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

just my two cents, but i just TRADED my white 350 psd 4 door XL package with 260,000 miles on it and the dealer gave me $9500 for it....and i used that one for plowing and made a great plow truck.