1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 F-350 Gas - Any good?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowman4, Feb 14, 2012.

1. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

Hey everyone

Was just wondering if anyone could give me some input on a 1999 F-350 with a Gas engine. There is one for sale with low mileage but it says the tranny slips (I don't know how bad)
    What engine would be in this truck and was it any good?
    Anyone familiar with any transmision problems this truck may have?
    Lastly, anyone know what transmission is in this truck?

It would not be used for plowing.

Thanks for any help.

2. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

Would be a 5.4 or a 6.8 V10, tranny if a auto would be a 4R100, if it was a 5.4 I really liked mine but alot of peop;e think they were under powered. sold mine with a 160k and never touched the motor or trans except for normal maintence stuff. Currently have the V10 in my 08 great motor but likes to drink gas.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

The gas engines had some problems. One of main ones was head gaskets. I musta done 50 of them when I was at dealer. The 99s still had wires, so the spark plugs blowing out isn't an issue. Might need exh manifolds, and studs. The trans. E4od/4r100 aren't to pricey, there's plenty of shops out there that have done them.

4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

1999 5.4L Never have spark plug wires. You must think 4.6L.

For head gasket they notorious leak oil that from OVERHEAT not engine design fault.

5. dieselss

Maybe right MIL. Been quite awhile since I been at the dealer. All those modular engine jobs run together. Not totally true on the engine fault. It was the head gaskets that failed....bad design. Not necessarly from overheard

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have 2 99 SD with 5.4 They have been trouble free
    One has 180k wifes daily truck My back up plow truck
    Other one has 100k dually work truck Both are manuals
    I have a 02 with a 5.4 with a auto tranny went out at 75,000
    Had it re done They built it up like the Powerstoke tranny are
    Now has 100k

7. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Exhaust gasket and you can only get the exhaust manifold bolts from Ford. You would think they were made of gold.

8. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Thats incorrect... I just had ours fixed and the local exhaust guy had them on hand fairly cheap and they weren't from Ford. Cost $200.00 per side with all parts and labor to do it, luckily only the one side was leaking

9. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Is it slipping going into 3rd? There are some valve body bolts that aparantly work themselfs loose and cause this to happen in the 4R100/E40D. Might be a good deal if thats all thats the matter with the truck

10. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to go try it out tomorrow

11. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

Any idea what one of these would be worth? 2 wheel drive

12. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I sold 2001 F250 2wd XL reg cab with 5.4L/ Auto. It had 200K miles. Transmission don't work right. Sold for $2000

13. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I think the f-350 only came with the v10. Good motor... it loves gas! I would not buy it if the tranny is slipping!

14. dieselss

nope,,,,5.4, 6.8, 7.3