1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 F-350 Diesel w/Plow What's it worth?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by exmark1, Apr 8, 2007.

1. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I am looking at a 1999 Ford F-350 Regular Cab, XLT.
    7.3 Diesel, Automatic with a 8' Western Pro Plow on it
    The truck has 166,000 miles on it a few dings and scratches but overall it's clean!

What's something like this worth?
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Be very, very careful of used plow trucks !
    They can have a bunch of problems, and that's why they are for sale.
    ( My truck's is called the Big Red Drain for a reason )
    Unless the truck has had all the major components replaced it may be a major money pit.
    If you can't do major wrenching and have little equipment and skills, stay away from it.
    I repair stuff all the time for $40 where a shop would be $250.
    I would have $400 in parts and services in a front end rebuild, a shop would be $1,500.
    The diesel engine will go much longer then a gas engine, but all the other parts wear out at the same rate as a gas engine truck.
  3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

unless the plow or the plow and truck are brand new, the plow is worth nothing and the truck is probably worth 75% of kbb private party sale for your area. most people think the plow adds value but IMO it makes the truck worth less.
  4. exmark1

The plow was just installed in December of 2006. It's an older plow (age unknown) but he has paperwork from when it was installed on the truck.
  5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

in that case you shouldn't have to worry about it being an "old plow truck". i would buy the truck at kkb value and add very little or none for they plow value.
  6. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

Make sure you check the oil pan. There is a thread here about PSD oil pan problems. Motor has to be removed to replace it.
  7. exmark1

Check what part of the oil pan exactly? And am I just looking for rust and oil seeping though the pan or what?
  8. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

i just traded my 99 f-350 crew cab SRW off for an 05 f-350 crew cab DRW. I got 9,000 on trade in and it had 261,000 (yes i drove a lot)miles. ran great and looked great. plowed with it for one year. with a NEW plow, as in i only used it this year and at most 3 times, they only gave me a 1000 more and offered 10,000. I decided the plow was worth more than just a 1000 so i kept the plow. just something to add so you know what i just traded mine off at.
  9. dunbar15

dunbar15 Junior Member

the oil pan rusts and will leak, expensive fix, was told by dealer you have to lift the engine out to replace. I've been battling mine with rust stop spray.. Also been told on these trucks to check the turbo blades to be sure they arent sand blasted, if they are the air filter was leaking by, not good if that has happened.. I have a 00 7.3L CC SRW
  10. exmark1

I looked at a couple where I noticed the oil pan issues you speak of. This one was TERRIBLE

If any one is looking at that truck BEWARE! He makes it sound decent I went and drove it and looked it over... the underside is VERY rusted, it appears to burn a decent amount of oil, and is overall in need of alot of work!
    Not to mention the above mentioned oil pan issues that have started on it!
  11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Like I always try to say in posts about used trucks. Roll under it with a creeper and look at the underside. If it's not been under coated and kept up with, there will be stuff rusted / rusted out. Old plow trucks have been rode hard and put away wet. It's a fact of life!
    Buy a daily driver truck and add the plow and the upgrades to make it function if it's not plow prepped. Ask and we will suggest you the systems you need to upgrade.