1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 dodge suspension

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Wilnip, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I have a 99 Ram 1500 standard cab, long bed. Been plowing for about 12 years for a local landscaping company. I am putting a 8' Sno Way V plow on my truck. Whats the best way to beef up the suspension?

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Aaaaa buy a new truck. That is one HEAVEY plow. see if you can put a 2500 front axle and springs in it.

but still the frame is going to be a 1500 frame

3. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

do not do not do not do that your truck will be done for the only plow you should put on a halfon is a 7'6" straight blade

4. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Ok. I thought about changing springs, spacers, ect. I can put a new Sno Way straight blade on for the same price. I think I'll go that route. Gonna be hard getting used to a straight blade again.

5. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Frame will be fine. :rolleyes:

At a minimum, you'd have to put 2500 coil springs in it but, you will also have to lift the rear as the 2500 coils are taller than your factory 1/2 ton springs. as another poster said before, swap in some Dana 60 axels.

6. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I want to thank all of you for your help and advice. Final decision has been made. Straight blade is going on the Dodge 1/2 ton. Just bought a F250 on ebay today that the V will go on. Picking up the truck on Saturday. I know its a risk not seeing it in person but I got it at a great price. I'll post some pics when we ger the plows installed.

7. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

What year F250? If it 1997 or older you going need air bag or timbrsen to keep alignment 100%.

8. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Nope, its a 2002 Thumbs Up