1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 Dodge 2500 Steering gearbox

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by sagedog, Mar 11, 2003.

1. sagedog

sagedog Junior Member
    from colo.

Is this a box that is adjustable? Steering is getting kind of sloppy. All of the other steering components seem to be in good condition. This truck has 122,000 k on it
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

3. SWR11

SWR11 Junior Member
    from Canada

I have a 99 diesel and the box leaks like a siv. I ask the dealer about seals and he recommend a new box.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

The boxes are noted for lower bearing play,which causes the pitman shaft to move and the seal to leak.If you have any play,it's time for a new box.

Check the top cover bolts,as they tend to come loose and cause major PS oil leaks as well.
  5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

My 2000 wandered slightly since I bought it, I tightened the steering box a little,that helped,then i added this steering stablizer. This is a great idea for anyone with a Ram,more so if you have the heavy Cummins engine,and a heavy plow. if your blowing the seals right out the bottom,this will help you a lot. Id replace the seal,tighten the box,and add this brace,and you should be all set. I was able to use the brace with my Boss plow frame,with slight trimming of the brace ends,it took a while to test fit,and I had to remove the plow braces to install it,but I think it was worth it. My steering is better now than ever, this brace takes a lot of load off the box,and with my 1000lb plow,that is what I needed. John http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=64315&highlight=steering