1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 dakota pull 863 bobcat

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dodgeguy99, Feb 4, 2007.

1. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

my brother has a 99 dakota 318 5 speed manual tranny. is there any way he could pull an 863 bobcat with a tandem axle trailer? the truck has a trailer brake controller but i wonder if that will be too much for it. thanks.

2. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

Maybe once but not on a reg basis.

3. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

how far
    whats the speed
    even know you can dosen't mean you should
    it may be cheaper to have it delivered.. if your axle seal go you''ll know why

4. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

probly 4 hours round trip at 70 mph on the freeway

5. carl b

from Ohio

allot of people will say yes............ but i say NO......... if you get stooped by a cop, he'll take it..(for weight reasons) and if you hit my car because, you were over weight and killed my kids..how would you feel??

6. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

Just go rent a truck from boyer ford.

7. carl b

from Ohio

or test drive for the day.....lol
    good idea

8. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

well how much can the truck tow and not get into trouble by the police. i see durangos and dakotas pulling huge boats all the time in the summer and they seem to be doing ok. and i am not worried about stopping the truck handles a trailer preety good and as i mentioned before it has a trailer brake controller

9. carl b

from Ohio

read the sticker in the door (also may be on the hitch or bumper) than try to figure the trailer tung weight, and your front tires may be off the ground.... the weight on the truck in my opinion is triple what you should run...thats a big skider!!!!!!

10. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

i guess i could let my brother borrow my 99 2500 ram but it would be nice if the dakota could pull that 863

11. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

i just looked on msnautos.com maximum towing is rated at 8800 pounds how much does an 863 weigh on an average sized bobcat trailer

12. zman9119

zman9119 Member

The max towing for that truck is around 3,000lbs. Anything over 2,000lbs you have to have active trailer brakes.

13. zman9119

zman9119 Member

That might be the GCWR, but there is no way a dakota could pull 8800lbs.

14. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

as mentioned earlier the truck has trailer brakes and on msn autos 8800 pounds is max towing

15. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

i am not sure the truck is preety torquey and is geared at 3.92

16. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Dont do it, you will never get it up to 70 and if you did it would be a death trap. 280 miles is way to far for that truck. Why do you need to move it ?

17. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

You should really have a 3/4 ton truck;)

18. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

my brother needs to do some landscaping at his cabin up north he could take back roads at 55mph but it would be 5 hrs then

19. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

i know i think i might have to loan him my 3/4 ton ram

20. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

NO

I don’t care what MSNautos said the tow weight for a Dakota is, Dakota can safely tow in the 4000-5000 range at speed with trailer brakes. My 96 2500 CTD has a 8800lbs trailer tow weight, I can’t see a 318 Dakota even being close to what the ¾ CTD can tow. the bobcat weight is around 6000lbs trailer weight light weight car trailer 2200 steel car hauler 2600 steel/wood floor Skid steer 3000.

hitch for a Dakota – umm there has never been a manufacture that has made more then 500/5000 (class 3) hitch for a Dakota