1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 Chevy transfer case question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Tomtsled, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Tomtsled

Tomtsled Junior Member

A friend of mine keeps blowing the transfer case in his 99 Chevy pickup. He said it has something to do with the clutch packs. I believe this truck has the NP246 transfer case. Have any of you had similar problems with this transfer case and swapped another type in successfully? He'd be glad to hear how.

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

his best bet is to purchase a 2007 ford super duty. gas engine. just a thought.

3. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Hmmm been on this forum a whole 2 months now and you don't know better. Go to the Ford forum and state useless statements such as that there. They'd probably like hearing it. Personally I think you are a complete idiot, JUST A THOUGHT!

Now hopefully no lead will go F*** himself with a ford super duty crankshaft oh and make it a 07 one. lol

Tom - To my knowledge there are no known 246 issues. Your friend probably is the reason they keep going south. Could be his driving habits or maybe he drives around in 4hi on dry pavement. Different size tires or inflation poundages will wipe out a t-case pretty fast especially on dry pavement.

4. no lead

russ, russ . you are the moron. chevy and ford use the same case. i've been a certified mechanic longer than you have been on this forum. i don't believe swearing is called for in any case.

perhaps if the moderators of this site had any modicum of decency, they would monitor the posts of people like you.

i care not what you think. i repair more plows in 1 day than you will see in a week. think i'm shitting?

5. Tomtsled

Tomtsled Junior Member

Russ, thanks for the speedy reply. He's blown them both up while in the midst of plowing. He's also not driving on dry pavement while in 4wd. He blew up for the second time pushing the snow/sleet/freezing rain dump we got in the Catskills yesterday.

6. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

No lead - Blah blah more useless crap from you. If you stink as bad as your answers I imagine you would smell like a burnt fart. If you know so much why don't you try to help Tom out or did you break your arm patting your own back? Like that answer will help out Tom which is the whole reason for a forum to begin with. His best bet is to purchase a $15k truck to solve a t-case problem? You need your head examined. Ok you say I'm a moron, but I don't know what that makes you, because there is no way I'd spend $15k to fix a t-case cause some idiot plow mechanic said to. Why don't you go buy a 09 Rolls Royce cause I hear their pvc valves are far superior to any of fords. Sound ridiculous? Yet it makes as much sense as your statement. Sorry I was right you are an idiot no question there. How's it going with that crankshaft? You did get the 07 one right?

Tom - Sorry but I hate when people do what he did to you and someone has to put them in their place. There are people on here that will give you some real answers unlike you know who.

Ok so no dumb driving around in 4hi or anything like that. What tranny/motor combo is he running? What size plow is he running? Are we talking 2500, 3500 or the lowly 1500? The more info you can provide the more someone that really knows can give you a real answer that makes sense.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  7. Tomtsled

Tomtsled Junior Member

Russ, I'll ask him those questions tomorrow and post it here as soon as I find out. Thanks again.

Wow! I started trouble with my very first post!

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

He wouldn't happen to be plowing in the "Auto" 4X4 position by any change would he? Thats a big no no with the 246's..doesn't take long to wipe the clutches out in one by doing so.

Second question, what fluid is being used in them? You HAVE to run the generals own AutoTrac fluid designated specifically for the auto position T-cases in that one. Regular ATF for MTL will damage them.

9. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Tom, B&B is the guru of this stuff on this forum. Listen to everything he says and you will be much the wiser for it. Oh, and no you didn't cause any trouble with your post. You have a legit question and deserve a legit answer, I unfortunately cannot give you that answer beyond the obvious. If I could you would already have it.

B&B - Thanks for chiming in with some real world common sense ideas.

10. jonny5

jonny5 Junior Member

I work at new process gear in syracuse and used to put those units together..B&B is right on with running it in auto will destroy them plowing. When that unit was first built in 98-99 it was shipped with Dextron III, but shutter was a huge problem, traced to moisture in the clutch packs. Auto trac 2 (blue transmission fluid) was the solution to the shutter problem. Any question feel free to ask, ten years of factory transfer case experience.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  11. Tomtsled

Tomtsled Junior Member

Thanks everybody for throwing in your opinions, my friend appreciates it. Earlier today I spoke with a fellow from 4X Heaven in Gloversville NY. He felt that the case may have failed to a bad shift motor. He said it might not be shifting at the correct times which is causing the clutch packs to fail. He further said that salt may be the culprit, getting in between the case and the motor. My friend is going to take all this into account when he goes to the rebuild guy again. When they do the autopsy on the case I'll post the official cause of death. Thanks again.

12. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

When did Ford and Chevy start using the same transfer cases with the SAME spline counts? Does Ford even use New Venture transfer cases in the new trucks? I know they have used Borg-Warner transfer cases in the past.

So much for being a certified mechanic! :rolleyes:

I guess a 31 spline Ford is the same as a 27 spline 1/2 ton GM.

13. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Not only that Lifted, but even if they did how would using the same t-case fix the problem? Wouldn't it be the same problem? It be like buying bad gas it don't matter what you put it in its still bad gas.

14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I would guess his suggestion was based that if the case from a Super Duty was the same model it would be stronger (which by nature of the super duty it would be).
    I don't know personally what Ford used in spline counts versus GM, but there has to be something different between a Super Duty T case and a Half ton case- maybe there's something to it - I'll look into it at work.

Russ, you really need to chill sometimes. Whether he's right or wrong, and even assuming by his simple and easily misinterpreted post (it should have been elaborated beyond that, I agree since I read it the same way) there was NO NEED to berate any member of this board like that. Poor form. You've been around here long enough to know better and to remember this kind of bad 'manners' causing good members to leave.

Incidentally there's a company called Hollander- I'm sure some of the real pros here have heard of them. They maintain and publish a list of automobile parts for interchangeability- what part from car A fits other cars. In other words- the PVC valve from an 09 Rolls is made by company X and interchanges with Ford X, Y and Z, Chevrolet B, D E, .... etc.

15. no lead

sorry for creating such negativity. that first post was a joke. i was going to elaborate, but things went south so fast, i figured i better keep my mouth shut.
    i have seen some chevy trucks that eat cases on a regular bassis. bent frame seems to be an issue with these trucks. is it possible that is the case?
    my certifications are in truck equipment installation, repair, modification, fabrication, etc i am not an engine or trans guy by any means. i can fix your plow, dont let me near your trans though:)

no hard feelings russ. i had a good laugh. :drinkup:

16. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

First off I have already appologized to No Lead in a private message I sent to him. In response he stated "ah, no big deal. that was stupid of me to have posted that anyway. i may have had a few :drinkup: before i started busting that guys balls". About the Hollanders part I guess you just miss the whole point don't you. We weren't talking about interchange parts we were talking about buying a whole different vehicle because one part would interchange from it. I was pretty sure that was really clear here. Oh and by the way it doesn't take a real pro to know about Hollander unless you consider people working in junk yards pulling parts pros which I wouldn't. It really is too bad that you missed the whole point here which is obvious by your Hollander statement. I always thought the Hollander books were for junk yards and body shops mostly, of course that's just because that's what a Hollander salesman told me. I don't think you will find one in any plow dealership and 99% of all mechanics would have no use for them either. Since a real pro would be using new parts and not used. Maybe its time you stepped down off that high horse. What do you think?

17. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

No Lead we are cool and yes I think we all had a few laughs.

18. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Ah, but that's the mistake- You took it as meaning buy a new truck ( I did too at first) which means you obviously missed No-lead's second post...

Hollander's are for anyone needing in interchange parts, no plow dealer would not have use for one, and yes the salesman was correct, they are mostly for junk yards and body shops, (If they handle auto parts for a living, they are a pro) but I sell hundreds of them a year to small repair shops, custom car builders, resto shops, and people rebuilding their own vehicles. My day job is with automotive literature- if it's paper and was published by an automobile company I probably have or have had it.

You're a good man owning up, apologizing and admitting it here- a PM isn't seen by anyone reading this thread tho....

I've been here and on other boards long enough to see things like that drive off good people.
    No harm, no foul.

19. jonny5

jonny5 Junior Member

Ford does use NVG case

Just to clear something up.. Ford does use a new process gear t-case. It goes into f 250 350 450 550 basically same case. Mainshaft, input and chain and sprocket changes. That unit also goes into HD 2500 3500 dodges and sterling trucks, both units are built on the same line. Plus that same basic case goes into 5500 6500 chevy HD trucks. We use alot of the same parts in all cases. 246 t-case clutches fits chrysler Overdrive units.....

20. Tomtsled

Tomtsled Junior Member

So, my friend had the t-case torn down, clutch packs were burned. Cause of death: too much skinny pedal trying to free himself from a snowbank.