1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'99 Chevy K2500 Installation Question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by plowfever, Nov 19, 2012.

1. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I am installing my Boss VXT on my '99 and wondering how hard the install is. I have never installed any of my own plows but I need the truck and figured I could install it on the weekend. I am mechanically inclined so I do not think it will be that big of deal but I just wonder if it is simply a bolt up install or if I will need to drill holes in the truck frame. According to my dealer it sounds like I will just need to pull off the bumper and tow hooks and bolt the bracket on. The wiring is pretty straight forward as well I think.

2. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

i did it in about 8 hours on my 1990 only because i had to remove my old meyer stuff off of it

3. elecblu

elecblu Member

I did my own also. 1998 k2500 I did not remove the bumper. only removed tow hooks. pretty easy job. especially if you have access to a hoist. You should be able to do it in about 2-3 hours mechanical and about 2 hours electrical.

4. ihdriver7088

oh and i did not have to drill a thing except a hole in the firewall to get the controller plug in the cab the most difficult was the two big bolts going in the crossmember between the lower control arms

5. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have to do one on an 02...do you just use the factory bolts? I bought a 92 v used and i didn't get any bolts with it besides the ones hold it together. just looks like you use existing bolts?

6. ihdriver7088

for the most part yes just the ones on the center bumper mounts though you need 2 bigger bolt to go to the crossmember between the control arms of the truck

7. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Make sure that truck has frame gussets behind the upper control arms. You'll find that info on search.

8. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

I'm putting it on Sunday, I printed out the manual online. Thanks for the tips! It looks much easier to do on chevys than on my fords.

9. ihdriver7088

it is relatively simple compared to any ford i have helped with the frame gussets that south_seneca talk about are for the people who constantly slam frozen piles and curbs this will be my 4th year and i mnot easy on a plow but my frame is still solid

10. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Plow is installed but I had a heck of a time getting the three bolts on the bumper mounts to line up. I called the dealer and they told me I should have done one side at a time and I wouldn't have had as big of a problem as I did. It is on and ready to go. I do still have to wire it up and I will get that done Tuesday since it is supposed to rain here. I am excited to see how it does. I have always plowed with fords and this will be the first time with a Chevy and a Boss VXT. I did have a 3500HD with a Blizzard 810 and that was a beast so I am sure this thing will rock!