1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 chevy back up lights installation questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by tlrlc, Jan 20, 2011.

1. tlrlc

tlrlc Member

Ok I got 2 4" 500 lumen soundoff lights I want to mount on the rear bumper
    Of a 1999 k2500 v8
    Questions: should I use a relay?
    And how much harder would it be to wire them to a switch for constant on
    , on in reverse, and off ?
    Any help with directions on how to find the reverse wires to hook up to would be
    Greatly appreciated.

Thanks all

2. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

If you do a search there are a lot of topics on this, I have been looking because I am adding some to my truck. I would suggest the relay.

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

2nd the relay. Nothing sucks more than burning up a good wire harness.

4. blogsdon

blogsdon Member

Put a set on my 2000 c/k2500 and ran them to a dedicated switch wit a relay. Work great

Brian

5. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Question, when using a relay you need to run a hot lead direct from the battery to supply power, you ground it locally and switch it on and off with either a cab switch or a splice into the backup lights, right? If the hot lead doesn't come directly from the battery, where does it come from?

6. Dakota Dave

Dakota Dave Member

I used the Aux power from the Trailer hitch for hot. You can place the relay at the back and use backup lights to trigger the relay. RVT the heck out of the relay and conections then wrap in tape. leave a little slack so if you ever need to fix you can just cut it off.

7. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Mayhem,
    The backup wire; is only used to pull the coil in the relay. After the relay is pulled in then it allows the hot lead that is coming into the OTHER side of the relay [NOT THE COIL SIDE] to flow outbound to the source you intend to feed . So you can pull the relay in with much smaller wire to just switch it and then it will feed out according to the size of the relay . I my case I have 30A relays [fairly heavy duty] and feed 12V back to my rack lights via #12 straided Copper so there is really no noticeable loss over the 10' or so and I am NOT overloaded the little backup wire that would NOT stand the current draw of a couple of 130W Halogens!
    Dont forget you can also add a switch in the cab and just tap right onto the coil side of the relay in the same place as the backup wire tap and you could force the lights on anytime you need them without the truck being in reverse???? Quite handy to have at times.

8. tlrlc

tlrlc Member

I hate to be a pain but just so I can get a shopping list
    Together-
    obviously I have my 2 lights and mounting hardware
    I need a switch (constant on, off, on with reverse)
    Relay - what size
    Wire- what size for which purpose ?
    Thanks for all the help guys- hoping to do it tomorrow- will post picks when done
    Oh- does anyone know color wire to tap into for reverse light? 94-99 chevy/gmc pickup 2500