1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99' chevy 4WD prob.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Arc Burn, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Alright boys,got a 99'Chevy half ton Z-71 Ext.cab(old body style)with push button 4 WD.Twice last week i pushed the 4WD button,the light came on but i spun like crazy,only 2WD.Pulled in the shop to check it out and you can here the actuator kick over and it seems to be working now but im a little skeptikal of this,it could really suck this winter if this thing decides not to work.Anybody have this problem or got the fix i'd love to know! Thanks for the help

2. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

How fast were you going when you put it in?

3. Arc Burn

The first time i was going like 2-3 mph,the second time i was parked in some mud and engaged it sitting still.

4. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I know my fourwheel wont engage till i hit about 10 mph or the wheels spin at about ten miles per hour.

5. Arc Burn

90plow,the acutator is electric and the early chevys,88-94 or so were thermaly activated,once you pulled your lever you waited for the actuator to heat up and engage,chevy soon came out with a kit that activates instantly,i put one on my 95,maybe you already knew all that but maybe that could be your problem,i've heard stories of those units taking miles or even minutes to activate but the new ones are instant,what bothers me is sometimes it works,sometimes it dont!and the light always turns from 2wd to 4wd when you push the button.

6. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I had this problem the other day i put it in four wheel and it wont come out unless i turn the truck off in N whats the problem?
    Eric

7. Arc Burn

I would say your counting the days till your actuator says goodbye! I am not in any way posotive of that but thats what it sounds like.New one from the dealer which would be the updated part runs around $100.