1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 Chevy 1 Ton Dually faulty Fuel Gage

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Goetso, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Goetso

Goetso Junior Member

Any body had to mess with one of these before? The gage reads 1/2-3/4 full all the time, but the needle has a funny "quivering" or very fast shaking motion. It left me sittin on the road today! Put 5 gallons in er and took off for home. Is it in the instrument cluster or in the sending unit? Thanx for any help.

2. TLB

TLB Senior Member

It could be one or the other. Electronic gauges use what is called a stepper motor, these do go bad.
    Just replaced two in my wife's 03 Tahoe, speedo & fuel gauge. This is the cheapest of the two repairs, about $5-$10 for the motors depending on where you get them from.

3. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

99 out of 100 it's the sending unit in the tank on the gm trucks

4. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

Yup....

My 98 Chevy 1500 fuel pump went out. Instead of paying the factory $1300 to replace it - I bought a OME part online and did the job myself. I elected to pull the box and get to it that way. Took me roughly a week working on it on and off after work....

I managed to get the pump replaced and it lasted all of 5 months before it too went bad! :realmad:

So I ended up taking it to the shop and paying the big dollars for them to replace that one. Shortly after my warranty ran out my guage started shaking like a pervert at a middle school playground....

It is not as bad when the tank is full but once it hits halfway it's all over the place....

I will bet your sending unit it bad. Does your pump sound OK or does it keep running momentarily after you shut the truck off?

5. Goetso

Goetso Junior Member

Cleverman,
    Now that you mention it, I think the fuel pump does run after the engine is off for a little bit. What does that mean?

6. Goetso

Goetso Junior Member

Clevername,
    Now that you mention it, I think the fuel pump does run after the engine is off for a little bit. What does that mean?

7. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

Right - Noisy pumps are a sign of........

1. If the fuel filter is plugged it can make the pump noisy.
    2. If the fuel pump is in the tank incorrectly to were the pump can touch metal in the tank to make noise.
    3. The fuel pump is giving you signs that it is about to fail and needs replacing.

When my first pump went bad it was not shutting off after the truck was turned off. It would run for like 5 -10 seconds longer. They told me it was going tits up. So I replaced it with a OEM I bought off the net.

Now this one keeps running for 5 - 10 seconds like the last one along with the guage shaking like crazy!

I'm no mechanic but from my experience I would say that if it is continuing to run awhile after you shut the truck off then your pump is going bad....