1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'99 810 Questions

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by beungood, Dec 15, 2005.

1. beungood

beungood Member

I am making a deal for a 99 year model 810 Power Plow for $2650. The guy is a professional welder and has reinforced the wings weakpoints and beefier cutting edges that are replaceableand has also updated the hydraulics with newer "red" hyd Controller. Shipping is $200 and the mount close to the same. Does this seem like a good deal? Should I worry that Blizzard has been bought out by Douglas Dynamics and I'll be left in the cold if any problems develop? Will this set-up work well with my 01 Duramax CC? Im also looking at a Boss 8'2" V and a the heavier Curtis 3000 . I have a buddy with a big plow and he said he hrow me some lots. Can you Plow with the wings extended on the Highway?

2. drplow

drplow Senior Member

if your a real plow guy, forget about the older 810. if your going to use it all winter, spend twice the price and get a new one. the older 810s had many problems from what i have read. if your not going to use it full time, then get the used one, it wont be worth spending the dough for what is going to sit and rust anyway. i hope the new ones are powder coated though. i will be selling mine in 2007 or 2008. i like to keep things newer. less problems and it looks better. payup
  3. beungood

beungood Member

I'll be part time

I am a fulltime Police Officer and will be plowing on my days off and after 230pm quitting time to supplement my income.
  4. brad welch

brad welch Member

99 810

you are better off to buy a new 810 the 99 models were the first generation and had plenty of problems.. i can probably get you a new unused 99 model for a couple of thousand but then its all yours.. save yourself the hassles of old parts and breakdowns and upgrades and visit your local dealer for a new plow.. yup 2000 more but how do you make money brokedown call blizzard themselves they will tell you, they want to lead their customers the right direction
  5. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

other side of the coin

I've got a 99, and it is great, actually runs better than some 02 models I've seen. I've had one hose failure, one edge replacement, and that is it. I did reinforcements prior to putting into service. To each his own, I guess.
  6. paulsauto

paulsauto Member

99 810

I have several customer that bought the 99 810's. Some have had alot of grief and several use them for commercial plowing and have had very few problems. If you care for your equipment and do a little preventive maintenance( clean and grease electrical, wash salt off, change fluid) the plow should hold up fine. good luck:waving:
  7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I bought a used 99 810 this year, only problem so far was a broken wire behind connect/disconnect switch, and one wing works backwards which nobody can seem to tell me how to correct. However, it works and pushes snow exactly the same as a new $4600 810, I'm pretty sure the snow can't tell the difference.
  8. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

One wing works backwords? Could the hoses be switched?
  9. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

that's what I asked the dealer, he said he thought a valve was sticking and not to worry about it. I've been trying to call Blizzard to get some info, but anybody who knows anything is never there. After 10 minutes explaining it to someone who knows nothing they tell me to call back. It doesn't look like the hoses have ever been off, but maybe it would be worth checking into a little closer. And it doesn't really work "backward", so to speak. When you press button to extend wing out, it instead goes into scoop position. Hold button and it then slides out until it is in its widest scoop position. To get to 10 foot position I have to then press button for "in", scoop retracts to flat, then I have to release button quickly before the wing slides back in. The right side works perfectly normal. The left side works okay, it's just a little irritating because I know it's not right.