1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'99 7.3 runs good then loses power

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SharpBlades, Jan 22, 2013.

1. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

My '99 f-250 7.3 is giving me some trouble.

It started a couple weeks ago, The truck had sat for 2 days, I went to take it out and upon starting it almost immediately died. The fuel bowl has been leaking (I need to get the o-ring kit and install it) so I figured that i just didn't give enough time to re fill the fuel bowl. So I cycled it a couple times and started it.

It ran fine for about 5 minutes in the driveway so I took off and got about 2 miles and it started to lose power almost like it wasn't getting any fuel the SES light also came on... I couldn't remember if I treated the fuel last time I filled up so I added some diesel 911 to the tank, let it sit, and started it about 30 minutes later. It ran great, no SES light... not one hiccup.

Last week I went to start it, and again forgot to cycle the key a couple times and died in the driveway just like the first time. I cycled the key a couple times and she started fine and I drove about 150 miles with no problem.

This past sunday, I filled it up and made sure the fuel was treated since we are expecting lows of -7 this week... We got snow monday and my driver took it out and plowed a 5 hour shift without any problem. He parked the truck inside yesterday and took it out again this morning for another shift.

I got a call while he was at his last account that the truck was acting up, SES light, low power even with accelerator all the way down, coming back to the shop he said he could only get it up to 30mph. I was there at the shop when he pulled up. There was no smoke... we turned it off then started it back up immediately, the SES light was out and it ran fine.

I don't have a scanner that will read the codes but I might be able to have my cousin scan it.

I am not very knowledgeable about diesels, so I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting.

The only thing that I can think of is the fuel bowl leak which might explain dying at startup after the truck has sat for a couple days, but I'm stumped why it acted up this morning.

Any ideas of what might be wrong would be appreciated. And my appologies if any of my post is incoherent... I'm running on 2 hours of sleep

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

blowed out O ring on the fuel filter should been replace when you notice a leak Not later

3. SharpBlades

I know it should be... I'm waiting on the kit. It's the bowl o-ring(s) that are leaking not the big filter o ring

4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Hope you didn't ruin $1600 injectors from low fuel pressure plus AIR in fuel system.

Fix that diesel leak when you see ASAP!

Find someone with scanner that will work with diesel to find what code for.

5. Antlerart06

You said it I had leak from drain plug in middle night plowing snow I was lucky only kock out 2 injectors

6. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

7. SharpBlades

My cousin scanned it and it didn't show a code but he agreed that the fuel bowl seal is likely the culprit. I've ordered the o rings.

I'm thinking that if it acts up again I'll have the driver turn off the truck and cycle the key a couple times to re prime the system then continue. I know it's not ideal, but we are expecting another 12"+ within a couple hours.

Will I ruin the injectors by having him do that?

8. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

What kind scanner he had? Most scanners doesn't work on this powerstroke. Expensive one will find codes. When it pop light it storage codes in.

If I were you I rather FIX fuel leak NOW no matter what. It will ruin injectors when air get inside.

9. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

Hav u put an updated cam sensor in it , also maybe change the EXHAUST back pressure sensor, and the tube coming off the exhaust manifold, my 99 shut down over the summer cause of that. If u want to upgrade the IDM box to 120v instead of 110v

10. Antlerart06

I wouldnt drive it till O ring is replace Ford should have it in stock

11. SharpBlades

No I haven't. I was reading about how the old cam sensors would fail, so it is on my list of things to check. The only thing I've done to it is an oil and filter/fuel filter change and adding a muffler... Up until a couple weeks ago she's purred like a kitten... Or should I say roared like a lion lol.

As far as sucking air though, if it was shouldn't it be blowing white smoke?

It ran perfectly fine today for the whole route plus end clean outs, about 6 hours.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  12. SharpBlades

You'd think so but I called all the dealers in my area and they don't have the fuel bowl re seal kit, only a replacement drain valve. They didn't even know what I was talking about...

13. SharpBlades

I don't know what brand or anything, but it was a big scanner... About the size of a laptop. He said that he has used it on powerstrokes and it has always found the code, so I don't know what is going on.

14. Antlerart06

what goes bad a lot is the drain value
    change the filter you get a bowl seal for the cap

So what seal is leaking on yours

15. SharpBlades

I know it is one of the o rings on the fuel bowl. But every time I try to find exactly which one, nothing gets wet grrr... I know that it is probably a ring on the drain valve, but I would rather replace all the rings on the bowl. Plus the dealers wanted upwards of $50 for just the drain valve assembly.

I did replace the fuel filter yesterday again, just incase the bowl seal was faulty.

16. Antlerart06

You want watch out some cheap aftermarket filters will leak The ones with cap and filter made together doesnt seal up right

$ 50 is cheaper then buying new injector

17. SharpBlades

Well the orings came today, I got them all installed, got the bowl bolted in place, got all the brass fuel line fittings snugged up, and forgot that the friggin FPR fitting is aluminum. thought to myself - " self, you should snug each fitting another 1/10th of a turn, just to be sure"... Snug, snug, snug, SNAP!!!! WTF!

I don't know whether I am more mad that I have to find a new FPR, or that I can't find the wrench that I threw.

18. Antlerart06

That sucks

19. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I tend to listen to that little voice that tells me not to do something. After 53 years it's been right most of the time!

20. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Its your cps.