1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 7.3 oil leak

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dieselboy01, Jun 6, 2014.

1. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

My 99 with the 7.3 sprung an oil leak on the left side of the engine. It looked like a valve cover leak so I replaced that gasket and it's still leaking. It's not the oil cooler, the leak is higher up the engine then that.

I crawled under the truck this morning when I got home and it looks like its coming from where the head and block meet. It's hard to tell because the up pipe is right there.

Any ideas or thoughts? I know these trucks don't have head gasket issues. The oil isn't milky and the coolant is nice and clean.

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Clean it off and find it

3. dieselboy01

Thumbs Up Thanks!

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I think there is an oil cooler line up there.

5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Im not being smart I'm being serious. We use brake cleaner to clean it off

It's a pain in the ass to figure out what's leaking when an entire block is covered in oil lol

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You have a few things up top that can leak down. Start at the top and then work your way down. Yes brake clean and engine brite is your friend.

7. dieselboy01

I had a chance to look further at the top on the engine. I heard the hpop lines can leak and run down the block. The lines coming out of the pump were dry, but the line going into the left bank looked a little wet along with the top of the intake plenum. But it didn't look wet enough to be the source of my leak. I'm going to scrub everything I can and run it again. I'll report my findings later in the week. Thanks again for all the advice so far! (Even you Whiffyspark!)

8. dieselboy01

I'm thinking my leak might be the turbo pedestal, still looking into it.