1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 /7.3 fuel leak

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ADMSWELDING, Dec 22, 2006.

1. ADMSWELDING

ADMSWELDING Senior Member

Anyone else had there fuel water seperator valve leaking fuel i had to replace mine today it cost 50 bucks from the dealer for a 5 dollar piece of plastic i was dumping fuel on the ground yesterday in front of my shop while idling, so today i had to fix it

2. BDB

BDB Senior Member

That is quite common these days. I just replaced mine. It was pooling up by the filter as well. They blame it on the new fuel. I can't wait to see what else is getting wrecked. They told me to put in some additives to help prevent that. The old fuel made the rubber parts swell a bit and the new ULSD doesn't play nice with the rubber parts.

3. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

ADMSWELDING it gets even better than that... I have done a few of these valves already this winter. My cost is about $1.00 for the two o-rings and about 15 minutes time to r/r them. I use Viton o-rings so they are biodiesel compatable.
    BDB- No offense toward you, but who ever is "telling you" this is wrong. These valve o-rings are not being effected by the new ULSD they have been springing leaks for years. What happens is when you open them to drain the water the grit at the bottom of the filter housing scratches or cuts the o-rings when you close the valve.
    It is a rather simple repair, requires a T-20 torx driver, pick, and small hands, or in my case the ability to squeeze large hands into tight places.

4. ADMSWELDING

Ggg6 where do you get those o rings i,m sure one of my buddys are do for the same problem soon.

5. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I get them from a local seal dealer. I think Berry Bearing, or any other bearing house would have them too. Depending on the o-ring mfg they are either -202, or #90 size.

6. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Ggg6, I am not telling you that you are wrong or disagreeing with you, but I did want to say that I have heard that the aromatics in the "old" fuel would cause rubber to swell, and since ULSD doesn't have as much aromatic content it can cause swelled seals to shrink. Replacement seals will not have a limited life from the new fuel because they will not swell in the first place.
    You are absolutely correct that debris can damage the seals and is the most likely cause here. (As if you had any reason to doubt yourself.)

7. ADMSWELDING

I did notice these o rings where spray painted yellow and the new valve had there o rings painted also anyone know why they would paint these o-rings?

8. daninline

daninline Senior Member

So thats why minw was leaking.
    I tigtened it up a little and the leak stopped I guess I will change the o-ring soon.

9. Bigblue250

Bigblue250 Member

I know I am late and will say what has already been said. The O rings get eaten, try to find the green "fuel proof" ones to replace the old ones with. This new ULSD sucks:realmad: