1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 5.9L Cummins Needs a Rebuild

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by AiRhed, Sep 8, 2009.

1. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

I've got a 99 1ton Dually 4x4 with the NV4500. The Engine's got 250,000 miles on the ticker. I bought the truck with 190,000 miles a year ago. Previous owner had a K&N in it for 50,000 miles. I've got blow by, some "steam engine" out of the filler hole, and here today gone tomorrow power.

The truck's up for the 300,000 miles inspection/overhaul soon. We'll see what the oil analysis says. I'm searching for a quality re-builder. I'm familiar with a few of the national companies, but I'd like to hear who you'd all recommend or have had experience with.

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

What block you got in truck? if its a 53 block. I would consider hunting down another motor. Even though you have had issues you still could down the road. Plus you could find a decent 12v that would drop in easy.

3. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

4. TGM

TGM Senior Member

scheid, haisley, enterprise engine, or any local trusted diesel performance shop.

Remember: friends don't let friends use ATS parts!

5. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

It's not a 53 block. And I hear ya, on that one. I searched Texas and other southern salt-free state Craigslist's for a non 53 block. Then I found my truck on Craigslist in Minnesota, FROM Texas, non 53. He and I thought that was pretty humorous.

That's a good list of the national companies. The only one I've considered is enterprise. The rest have become too big, too busy, and in my opinion unprofessional. That's not to say Scheid hasn't made some rockin motors in the past years. He's one of the best, but now he's a business, almost a corporation, with 3 locations and a bunch of UTI graduates who know everything already.

I'm looking for someone local, someone with the personal MN service you should expect from a machinist. I know of an engine builder in Rogers who does a lot of headwork for Hoglund Bus&Truck. He'll probably get the head since he comes highly recommended. Wagamon Brothers won't rebuild any Cummins for me, but they may do the machining. They're just not set up for diesels anymore according to their sales people.

Someone on here has to, at some time, had their diesel rebuilt in state? I'm picking my swap motor up from the recycler this weekend.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  6. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

If you consider Milwaukee local to Minnesota, then I would say Huckstorf Diesel.

7. TGM

TGM Senior Member

yeah i know of huckstorf but i don't know anyone relatively local. just post in one of the diesel forums..

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  8. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I love my rebuilder, honest guy, loves diesels and did a perfect job on my 01 HO Cummins.

Good looking guy, too:D

He's ME! How much does it pay?payup