1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 350 frontend vibration

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by tallfordpwrstrk, Nov 9, 2004.

1. tallfordpwrstrk

tallfordpwrstrk Junior Member

everytime i drive down the road and hit a bump i get a vibration in the front end toward the right wheel, i hit another bump and the vib will go away sometimes, i hit a bump again it'll come back the slightest bump will make it do it... it will do it in 4 wheel dr also. i'v checked wheel bearings, balljoints, i tightened up my bolts on the front leaf springs.... nothing... last thing i noticed is my front axeles turn while im driving in 2 wheel drive... and yes my hubs are unlocked. so i purchased a set of warn hubs. and if it doesn't fix the problem im driving the thing into a river.. :angry: :angry:

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

It is normal for the front axles to turn even if the hubs are unlocked. I'm having the exact same problem with mine only on the opposite side. It goes into the shop on Thurs. I was told it's the wheel bearing.

3. tallfordpwrstrk

i was told it was the hubs, i checked my wheel bearings and didn't notice or hear anything unusual.. im doin the hubs on Saturday, let me know how u make out on thursday , :drinkup:

4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Jentlemen>

If you are in 2wd with unlocked hubs,then your problem is probably the manual hubs are not releasing. Overtime, these hubs become ridden with dirt and grime. Suggest you remove and clean and re-grease with a light grease and re-install. Further, in the of season ,engage hubs and 4wd once a month for a few miles to keep everything loose and lubricated.

5. tallfordpwrstrk

i just notice today while i was under my truck, i can move my driver side front axle up and down side to side plenty of play, right wher the u joint meets the spindle, Wheel bearing isn't makeing noise when i spin the wheel nor is the wheel loose at all, so im guessing its the hub also that hub is a ***** to turn to lock... any other thoughts

6. The Boss

Just got back from the shop. It was the passenger side inner wheel bearing. My buddy had to order the parts. He ended up ordering a whole new hub assembly for $246.00. It goes back in to have it replaced on Tues. :waving:

7. tallfordpwrstrk

had to do a whole hub assembly too, also had to do the axle shaft, thank god my buddy works at the ford dealer,

8. MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic Member

I just had to do the same thing in one of our fords. We started getting some front end vibration and a grounding sound. We dismantled the front end to try to find the problem. We couldn't find any visual problems with it so we thought it was just dirt on the brakes pads. A day later after hitting a bump the sound and vibration came back..

Come to find out it was the bearing in the front driver side hub assembly. When they wear out some you can usually see that the wheel and tire on that side are tilted in a little.

Had it replaced and haven't had any funny sounds or vibrations since.

I think we paid a shop $150 in labor and $275 for the parts from a parts dealer...Make sure you get the right ones since Ford has early '99 and late '99 hub assembly.

9. The Boss

Exactly. They first sent the wrong hub because it was for the early 99 version. So, I had to stand around for an extra hour waiting for the different one. The axle shaft on mine was a little worn down also but it's fine for now.