1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 3/4 ton suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by carlsauction, Nov 17, 2011.

1. carlsauction

carlsauction Junior Member

just talked to a Western dealer and he said he won't mount a 8.5 v plow on my 2500 suburban. Another dealer said it isn't a problem (unless I spend long hours plowing with the whole family in the sub with me). I am inclined to go with the second dealer's advice, but I would appreciate any input from you guys on this. Suburban is a '99 base model, 2500 and a 5.7. Also, is plowing with a suburban a worse for window fog//frost and general visibility than plowing with a pickup? My experience plowing is with a '96 F150 with a not-quite-strong-enough defroster blower.

Thanks

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I'm putting a 860 speedwing on mine and I know someone on here has an 810 on theres so you should be fine.

3. chevyman83

chevyman83 Member

The 8.5 v adds too much weight to the front axle and will be over the front axle gwr. That's why the first dealer said no. When I was looking to add my 8.6 v to my 3/4 crew cab I found the only obs chevy that you could put that plow on without exceeding the gwr was a standard cab long box 3/4 or 1 ton.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would run that size plow on your truck.

5. carlsauction

My FGAWR is 4250, currently the front end is comming in under 3000 lbs. So what is the effect of hanging an 850 to 890 lb snowplow 4' in front of the front axle. Does it add more than 1100 or 1200 lbs to the front axel??

6. chevyman83

chevyman83 Member

No it won't add 1100-1200 lbs to the front. But the plow plus mount, proper ballast, and occupants weight may exceed the gvwr of the veh. According to western I can't put anything bigger than a 7'6" straight blade on my 2000 3/4 crew cab

7. carlsauction

I just ran across a 9 1/2 foot western v with a pretty attractive pricetag.. looks like it is probably 150 lbs heavier than the 8.5'. probably 1100 lbs. Crazy heavy for a 2500 suburban? This is not a commercial rig, only for 3 famryards and a couple miles of gravel roads. For serious snowfall we use this http://www.fairmfg.com/images/rotate02.jpg

Thoughts??

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

While you truck can carry the plow it exceeds the federal regulations in regard to any number of reasons. You can install the unit but I would suggest considering the conditions you refer to finding a blade with less weight to save the stress. If you are doing mostly gravel you should consider either adding a gravel edge, a trip edge or both.

9. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

My 99 3/4 sub is my favorite plow rig. Timbrens up front and 10 bags of salt in the back. ;)

10. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

And it has down pressure!:)