1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 2500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by 78W200, Dec 18, 2005.

1. 78W200

78W200 Member

I'm sure this has probably been asked before, so don't shoot me. I have a 99 2500 quad cab that has the hd service group and the plow prep. 5.9 How do the guys that use this truck like it and what kind of probs have you had. The reason I ask is I'm thinking about putting a plow on it for next season. I of course will keep the 78 for a third driver or as a backup truck.

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I had a 99 1500 QC, and now I have a 04 2500 QC, and my buddy has a 98 1500 that he has plowed to death. I landscape in the summer hauling trailers and loading the beds up with materials, so even though I did not plow with my 1500 I have a few thoughts. I am not a kind person to my truck. I generally push the envelope, I am always late with my oil changes, but I do change the tranny oil and front and rear pumpkins. I have had to replace the power steering box 3 times, once on my 1500, twice on my 2500, and the A/C lines leaked on both, just a lot sooner with my 2500. I have also had to replace the transmission coolant lines on my 2500. EVEN with these issues, I love(d) both trucks. As my business grows so do the truck. I'll be getting a 3500 in a year and a half.

Your truck will do fine, just remember it is not a nimble little jeep, if you plan on doing Residential, buy a 7 1/2'. If commercial get the 8'. If doing both also I highly recommend getting a set of ProWings.

I have an 8' blade and a tailgate salter that both got beat up doing small residential drives on one lane roads. The truck just absolutely loves plowing lots and eats them alive.

Again your truck will plow great, but it is big and you will want to change the tranny and 4X4 fluids. Hope this helps, look at my early posts to see some picts.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I run a 98, 2500 360, auto, hd group, plow prep ,tow prep, quad cab,
    short box with a Boss 8.2 V plow, with boss wings.
    and a 01 2500, 360, auto, Hiniker 8.6 plow, hd, plow, tow, camper, quad, long box.
    and a 74 W200, 318, auto, sno-commander package, long box.

I've put one tranney in the 98, replaced every thing up front (suspension).
    But, I think thats not to bad for a 7yr old plow truck.

Not to start a war, but she plows circles around the fords. The only truck that comes close is a well set up Chev.lol:waving:

Mopar or no car!!:drinkup:

Some might say I'm brand blind.:cool: .. yes, there other good plow trucks out there.
    You have to find what works for you. I happen to prefer Dodge trucks.

4. 78W200

78W200 Member

I'm with you SnoFarmer I think Dodge makes a very good truck. I really like my 78 w200 with its 400 that thing will move anything. I have been using it for the last 7 years and have never had to lock in the transfer case,not even last year when we had our 20 inch snow. We also have an 80 1/2 ton club cab that has been around for the last 15 years with no major problems. That is why I asked how my other truck would do, I figured it would probably disappoint me after driving the old trucks. BTW we plow a factory, two stores, a church, a storage place, and several drive ways so one more truck would be nice.

5. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

78W200, can you please put up pics of your truck? And where are you located in Indiana? I'm in Columbus, IN.

I too, run a Power Wagon :) Last winter I had a 76 M880 which is a stripped down US Army issue W200 with 1 1/4 ton rear suspension, no power steering, no stereo, no courtesy lights, etc lol... Never locked that truck in. This winter we had that 6" snow I never locked in the ol' girl either :) My uncle has had a few old PowerWagons, a TrailDuster, etc. but never plowed with one.. he was surprised to find out I do not plow with it locked in... although no one I know really locks in their T-case when plowing, I guess he thought it might be needed. I told him who needs it locked when ya got MOPAR and Super Swampers!

They make awesome plowtrucks IMHO. I have a 94 Ram 2500 Cummins (2wd) and I am not sure I would rather plow with it even if it were 4x4... Honestly I really want to put that motor in my 79 Club Cab (and of course put 1 ton Dana's in it)..

6. 78W200

78W200 Member

Bush Hog being that you are in Columbus you know the snow I'm referring to last year at Christmas. I'm in Shelbyville so I'm just up the road from you.

7. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Oh yeah we're pretty close then. Yeah we had 24" in that storm, drifts to 3' sometimes 5' in areas! It was wild!!!