1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 2500 Rough Idle

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by CAT 245ME, Nov 12, 2014.

1. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 1999 Ram 2500 ECSB with a 360 engine. Truck starts fine on cold start as well as idles fine for first 2 to 3 minutes til the cat converter begins to rattle fairly loud then the engine rpm's start to drop and engine acts like it wants to stall.

Now after the cat converter starts rattling fairly loud, if I shut the engine off and then try to restart the engine, it's a no go (acts like its out of fuel). I then have to leave it for a long while before it will start.

Most likely the converter is plugged but I figured I'd ask and see if anyone else had the same experience. Truck has 205,000 miles on it.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Does it start to turn red when running? If so,cut it out and put some cherry bombs on it;)

3. CAT 245ME

Converter doesn't turn red. I let the engine sit for 2 hours since it last ran, started just fine and then after 2 or 3 minutes converter begins the loud rattle, engine dies down. Now if I rev the engine after converter starts loud rattling, it will clear up but still a light rattle in the converter just not as noticeable but still there. But after the rattling has died down, the engine will start and stop as it should.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

02 sensor? and codes on it?

5. CAT 245ME

I don't have a code reader, but there is no engine light coming on during all this.

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Don't need light to be on to have codes. Most auto parts stores will scan it for free.

7. CAT 245ME

I'll have to try and get the truck checked out in the morning, hopefully it isn't to bad.

8. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I am gonna guess P0420, P0100 or P0102 codes. But if cat is rattling it is time to replace it.

9. CAT 245ME

I checked the price on a new y pipe with cat converter, cost around $300 if needed. That's not bad.

10. shep28

shep28 Member

I have that same truck. Weld in some cats. Amazon or summit racing has catco brand. Invest in a nice code reader- torque smart phone app with odb wireless connector from amazon. best deal

11. CAT 245ME

Update,

I ended up having to replace the y pipe/converter as well as the 02 Sensors.

Truck runs fine now.