1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 2500 NBS 4wd problems.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Brett K, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Brett K

Brett K Member

Whenever I put my truck in 4wd or auto 4wd, the slightest turn of the steering gives a loud grinding noise in the front end. Any ideas on where to look to find the problem?

2. Bowlerdude

Bowlerdude Junior Member

Brett,

The reason is that the Front Drive mechanism is not variable from left to right, so when you lock the front end (Turn on 4 Wheel Drive), both the left and right wheels are trying to turn at the same speed. Since when you turn, one wheel has to spin at a different speed from the other one, you hear that grinding sound (The Front transfer case's gears).

You should only use 4 Wheel drive mode in slippery conditions. Your Silverado manual will even tell you to ONLY run in 4 Wheel in slippery conditions. If the surface you are running on is Slippery then the Wheels can slide to compensate for the relative speed difference between the two front wheels when engaged in a turn.

John

3. 99 z71Silverado

99 z71Silverado Member
    from Chicago

hey john if you have driven in 4wd when not slippery would it take awhile to mess-up the front diff ??

4. Brett K

Brett K Member

Thanks for the info. That does put my mind at ease. I just bought the truck last summer and this was the first test of the 4wd. I wanted to make sure everything was working ok before my wife took it to work due to bad weather.

I am not sure where I left the manual laying around. This leads me to some questions though. Is it ok to leave it on while plowing and I'll just have to deal with the noise. When is the 4wd auto mode used? I noticed the noise in this setting too.

5. Bowlerdude

Bowlerdude Junior Member

z71 Silverado,

The damage to the transfer case is cumulative so the longer you run with the front Transfer case engaged on dry payment the shorter the life cycle of front transfer case.

Since replacing the front transfer case would be a VERY expensive repair it makes sense to run with the 4 wheel drive active ONLY when needed.

I have the selective drive buttons on my instrument panel so I can disenage on the fly so it makes switching into and out of 4 wheel drive very easy.

John