1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 2500 Check Engine Light?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by B and P Ent., Dec 19, 2003.

1. B and P Ent.

B and P Ent. Junior Member

I have a 99 2500 4x4 with 5.9 engine , the check engine light comes on. It runs fine just the light stays on. I unhooked the neg. battery cable and the light stayed off for about a week but I just went out today and its back on. Any ideas with out going to the dealer to get raped (haha).Thanks

2. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Whats the mileage ?? Dodge and others set them to come on at certain mileage intervals. You can try this.....put the key in the ignition...turn it to on / off position 3 times ( without starting it ) this is suppose to reset the test mode, and the check engine lite is suppose to go out. If that does not work, find someone with an break out analyzer and that will reset the CE lite.

3. smokey

smokey Member
    from indy

Go to autozone . they will hook up a scanner and read the codes for you, for free!

4. B and P Ent.

B and P Ent. Junior Member

The truck has 52 K on it . The light went off by its self for right now but if it comes back on I will go to Auto Zone. Thanks for the tip.

5. smokey

smokey Member
    from indy

You can still go now and get it checked. the computer saves the trouble code even though the light is not currently on! It could be something stupid like a miss fire.

6. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

HUuummmm,,,,let me guess...:rolleyes: the CE lite came on right at or about the 50k mark ???

7. mjandrew

mjandrew Junior Member

The same thing happened w/ my 99 Dodge Ram 1500. At about 50K the CE light came on randomly. Took it to Dodge and they said nothing was wrong. Took it to another shop, and they said the catalytic converter was bad. Took it back to Dodge and they replaced it under warranty.

8. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Could be an oxygen sensor, the truck will run OK, depending on how bad he sensor gets, and then it can cause other parts to act up, the trouble code has to be read to tell exactly what's going on

Bill