1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99 2500 8.0L V-10 overheating with plow

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Geoff426, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Geoff426

Geoff426 Junior Member

Hello everyone-merry christmas,

So I've searched and asked questions on another site, still not any closer to an idea of why my truck is overheating.

First off- it runs fairly cool while towing my dump trailer and without. Well under the center 210 mark on the gauge. My guess would be about 180. It provides great hot heat. There is no milky substance in the oil. And yes I can see the flow in the radiator while the truck is running.

After all that, It only gets hot when I hook up my plow and drive over 50mph. I have tried raising, lowering, angling this thing while I drive and nothing helps. It will climb to the red mark on the gauge if I let it. So before it gets that high I pull over, sit with the engine running and wait till it cools down. It can only be a few miles if the truck is warm already before I have to pull over. Then continue on at only 40mph and it seems to be ok. The temp won't get over 210 if I do 40mph or less. The whole grill shows and is not blocked by the plow inhibiting air flow while I am driving.

The only thing I can think of is maybe a not heavy duty enough fan clutch? Or maybe I need to install an electric fan in front pushing more air through. I don't know...

Any help would be appreciated, Thank you.

2. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

I have the exact same truck in my fleet, mine runs on the cold side without the plow on it, and even with the plow on it barely gets up to normal operating temperature, in fact I have cardboard in front of the radiator, and the plow on, and it still won't warm up fully.... First things first, have you replaced the thermostat? Flushed the system? How many miles on the truck?

3. mlc

mlc Junior Member

My former plow truck was a 2002 Dodge with the v10 engine. I had the exact problem as you describe about two years ago. (wouldn't overheat until going over 40-50 mph). Turned out to be the clutch fan. Bought an aftermarket one from Autozone and after about two weeks had the same problem. Bought an oem Dodge part and never had any more overheating problems. I think that the Autozone part fit both the v8 & v10, were as the oem part was unique for the v10.

4. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Check this out.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1997/07-05-97.htm

I know it says 94-97 But i think its the same with all 2nd gen trucks. I had a 96 1/2 ton and a 99 3/4 ton and both Had the same problem with thier plows on them, After replacing the Fan clutch they never ran above 200 or so.

5. Geoff426

Geoff426 Junior Member

Thank you all who have responded and answered this before I got upset and started throwing money at it. It was driving me crazy to take the routes I had to just so I could get where I needed to go. Thank you, thank you.

6. Ditto. I have to keep a pizza box in the cab incase it gets too cold out. Then I put it in front of the radiator. I get up to about 170 at best in the cold season.

Does your temp gauge show the t-stat opening and closing? I'd check that 1st. Simple change, about 1/2 hour. 6 bolts total... but you have to remove the alternator to make clearance.

7. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

Look at the 2 pages I listed. I had a problem on my 2004 and replaced the fan clutch with a OEM heavy duty one. But before the winter came I also added a snow deflector on my 7.5 fisher blade. Well as you can read by my post that my truck did not over heat on a 50mph 30mile ride. So I don't know if the clutch fan did the job or the rubber snow deflector did the job. If you have the deflector go for the fan clutch easy to change. Cost me at dealer $114 for a Chrysler OEM part. Had a friend get it at his price.

Good Luck

Look at this solution, this is interesting.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=96203
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=95467&highlight=overheat