1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

99-03 superduty alternator upgrade??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dieselss, Jan 29, 2012.

1. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

was looking to upgrade my stock alt. was wanting some feedback from others as to where? output? its still the factory unit, its not bad im not really having any problems with it...just wanting something a little more "beefy"
    i was looking at dc power for one,,but i know theres other places.
    NOT wanting to go the ebay route tho....would rather goto a reputable place
    any ideas out there????
    thanks Thumbs Up

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I had those 200 amp alternator.

My advised is keep stock alternator. They are fine. Problem is factory harness are too small for these demand. They become melt and cause poor contact. Kill batteries in short time.

You need add another ground cable from alternator bolt direct to battery's negative post.
    Then tape those factory harness for output positive. Get cable with fuse in middle. Need 100-115 amp fuse. I suggested 2 gauge they are plenty. Put on output stud to battery's postive.

3. dieselss

really,,keep the stock one??? its only rated at 85 amp at like 2,000 rpms. not much of an output in my book.
    i did already do the wire upgrades,,,just seeing if the upgrated alt was worth it

4. Milwaukee

I don't believed it rated 85. More like around 110-130 amp

Downsize on pulley will increase spin faster to build full output amp at 2K rpm.

5. dieselss

just looked again,,,rated at 110,,,85 at 2000 100 at 6000

6. Milwaukee

Then change pulley will be better idea. Find smaller pulley. I will Google it.

7. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I disagree....I would up the amps... I run 160's and just recently dropped in a 245 amp alt. Just add a heavier wire to the batteries

8. dieselss

where did you get your alt deice??

9. Milwaukee

If you disagree.

What about warranty? They only 1-2 years VS alternators from advance, o'reily, and auto zone they had lifetime warranty on it.

Don't it be wise to spend $250-400 everytime it out warranty.

10. dieselss

not that i'm saying theres anything wrong with those auto parts stores,,,but i have seen sooooooo many go bad from those places.
    if you look at brand new ones from dealer,,,3-36000 or the 1-2 from the parts dept.
    just cause its life time,,dosent mean its better imo

11. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

I replaced the stock single alternator on my '01 7.3 with another Ford tri mount that had a slightly larger case. I think it actually came from a Windstar?, but could be wrong. Anyway the larger one is good for about 150A, the stock one about 110 or 120A. I did have to grind out the aluminum mounting bracket a bit for it to fit though.

12. deicepro

I will have to check and get back to you.

13. deicepro

I have had more problems than its worth, even though its a lifetime warranty!!
    Nuff said...

14. dieselss

if it was just for "normal" duty then those auto store ones might be ok,,,,but this isnt "normal" duty.
    and i hate to say it,,but where do they get there alts from and where do the rebuilders get there internal parts from???

15. Milwaukee

Not to start fight.

Reason why alternator go bad. Bad connections, ground issues, bad or weak batteries. There one thread here about guy who went though 7 alternators in short time because he had bad wiring issues. Best part shop didn't test wiring.

I never have replaced alternators on my fleet after I start maintain "CORRECT WAY". Cause I add ground cable from battery to alternator and clean all connections with sand paper. Test with OHM meter.

I can't stress how many fleet from different companies I see still use factory harness for alternator and there tons acid on batteries terminal. Just wait until they start bitchy/moan how their 10 trucks broke down so often that related to electric issues.

When I told them test all connections with OHM meter. They say nah it charging FINE. What a IDIOT.

16. Milwaukee

Mine alternator is Point performer 200 amp rated.

If you plan buy aftermarket alternator. Make sure they are still in business.

Cause this one I got went out of business after I bought 2 months later. Lost 2 years warranty.

17. dieselss

true bad connections,,bad batts. but your also forgetting heat!!!!!!!
    not thinking your starting a fight lol thats why i asked for options/opinions i know theres tons out there.

18. deicepro

19. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i took a spare stock alternator i had in the garage to a local rebuilder back in june and traded it as a core on a 200 amp that he custom built. it load tests at 245 amps. total cost for the build was $180.
    all i had to do to fit the 200 amp alternator in the truck was grind 1/4 inch out of the bottom of the mount.

this was for my 02 7.3

20. dieselss