1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98chevy1500

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by 98chevy1500, Dec 24, 2005.

1. 98chevy1500

98chevy1500 Junior Member

Getting ready to put a 7.6 western in my truck that came off of a 1996 suburban 1500. I think it is the same chassis and the mount should be the same....... I think. Anyone have any input on this??? I also want to know if I should put the timbrens on the front, I was going to see how much it dropped before i did this though. The plow weights about 575lbs, and the person that I bought it from said that he did not add anything to the suburban and it did not drop much at all...

I would appreciate any help in this matter

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Mount will be the same, harness will work if you had the same headlights on each truck otherwise you will just need to change the cross harness.

Timbrens wouldnt hurt, you can also turn up the torsion bars.

3. PlowingHD

PlowingHD Junior Member

98chevy, you could also swap torsion bars with a heavier set, eliminating the need for timbrens, as that vintage of GM trucks, the torsion bars are interchangable. HD

4. 98chevy1500

Thanks for the info guys, you were a big help......
    Let it snow!!!!!!!!!

5. Joe Lombardo

Joe Lombardo Member

I traded in a 98 Chevy 1500 with a 7' Fisher MM! for a Ford F250 and I can tell you the truck handled the weight of the plow without any problem. I plowed with that truck for 5 years and there are times I wish I had kept it.
    You shouldn't have any problem with that truck doing the job.

6. 98chevy1500

Thanks

Thanks Joe, between you and the other couple of guys you have put my mind at ease. I appreciate all the feed back, Thanks again:salute:

7. 98chevy1500

Well, trhe plow went on without a problem. It was alot easier than I thought it was gonna be. The wiring harness even worked without modifying a thing.

All is great, waiting for snow..

8. dutchman

dutchman Senior Member

Hi Dave, I have the same truck like to know if this plow is a Western Standard plow. I was thinking of a fisher hd 7.6.....Thanks Cor

9. 98chevy1500

Yes sir, It's a standard. got lucky with the way everything fit considering the plow was about 8 years old. I liked it because of the weight of the whole package, about 575lbs. It only dropped the front end about 1" without adding anything suspension wise.

10. dutchman

dutchman Senior Member

thanks for the info........Dutchman