1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 Z-71 Shifting hard into 4x4

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by IndyJay, Jan 15, 2002.

1. IndyJay

IndyJay Junior Member

Hope someone can give me an easy fix. I bought this 98 and shortly after I noticed that when shifting on the move from 2 to 4H it really shifts very hard. When at a stop its no prob. 4 wheel works fine otherwise. It seems as though I test drove another 98 that did the same thing. Common Problem???
  2. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

On my 2000 silverado, whenever you shift on the fly, you can deffinetly hear it engage. Same with pretty much every truck I've had or driven. A buddy of mine has an explorer I drove recently, and I pushed the button when going about 25 to engage the 4 bye, and it sounded like the t-case was about to drop out on the ground. I try to do it when stopped as much as possible. If I'm gunna break something I at least want to be doing something fun when I'm doing it. One of the smoothest trucks I've had for shift on the fly is my 83, which I credit to the fact that it has manual hubs, and all the components in teh front end are already spinning.
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

You might try changing the T-case,and front differential fluids,synthetic fluid in both will make it engage much easier on the fly.Dont forget when your going 40mph,your rear driveshaft speed is approximately 15000rpm,so when you pull it into 4wheel,you gotta pull hard,and fast,it should go right in,then 3-7 seconds later,the light should come on.You need to pullhard,this spins up the front drivesahft via,the synchro,if the diff,and T -case oil is cold,it will be hard to spin it up.Dont baby it in,pull solid and hard,if you easily pull on i,tit might grind as it goes in.
  4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Some of it might be due to the weight of the vehicle and the power of the motor. I know my lightweight and relatively less powered Toyota shifts much easier then any fullsize I have ever driven. I agree that some of this may be due to the lock hubs although many of the fullsizes have manual hubs as well.
  5. John DiMartino

CT,your shifts easy because all components are already spinning,and at the same speed,they are also warmed up ,since they spin,with the Insta trac,you need to pull hard on the lever to spin up the front driveshaft,and differential,the left side axle is always spinning the spider gears in the differential,the right side has the disconnect which should engage right after the T-case is fully in 4wd.
  6. IndyJay

IndyJay Junior Member

Sorry I should have told you all I have push-button shifting....And when I push it into 4hi on the move it feels like the front end could come out from under the truck. Someone mentioned the actuator....anyone know how this works
  7. John DiMartino

It sounds like its working normal,slow down some if you dont like hearing it drop in hard.
  8. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Just cuz I was thinking about it, I shifted it in and out of 4 a couple times in the Costco parking lot. I also have the push button transfer case, and it was nice and quiet. I'd just stop to shift it in, and you shouldn't have any problems. I like to do this anyway. Better safe than sorry.
  9. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I noticed on moms tracker that if you shifted to neutral while coasting 35 and less that it went from 2~4 without much noise but it has manual hubs that stay locked in from the 1st snow to the last and we just shift it in and out of 4x ~NaTe
  10. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

I agree with the "stop & shift" method when going in or out of 4x4. There is a lot of "spinning up to speed" and meshing that takes place in a fraction of a second when moving down the road. Be kind to your drive train and it will be kind to you!
  11. Dave mcjr

Dave mcjr Junior Member

i have a 95 chevy 1500 and a 2000 gmc 1500 4x4's.
    i have pushed the 4wd button on the '00 at 50 mph and not
    a noise or anything, but when shifting into 4wd on the 95 it is
    hard shift into 4wd at any speed, once and awhile i will hear
    a grinding but not very often, i do agree that when pulling the
    lever you have to be forceful and quick. even though it will not
    just slide into 4wd, mine does not and i do regular service on
    diffs, and t-case, sinthetic fluids in diffs. and dextron in t-case,
    have 90000 on the truck and no problems yet, except i had to
    replace all bearings in the rear diff, but not related to 4wd.....