1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 Wrangler, Sno-Way, 235/75-R15 ??

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by DenningHill, Dec 13, 2004.

1. DenningHill

DenningHill Junior Member

Hello snowpeople,
    I just got a 4.0 1998 Jeep Wrangler to plow my mountain-side dirt driveway with.

My neighbor has a Sno-Way and he's happy with it so I thought I get one too. Is there a better choice?

I also want to get a set of tires for plowing only. I'm thinking of getting 235/75-R15 tires. Is that too much? should I get just the 225? Any suggestions as to what brand and model?

Thanks Much
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

At the risk of sounding biased, a LD fisher with a trip edge (or any light weight brand with a trip enge design) will play better on dirt and gravel as I have been using RD and HD ones for that for many years and it is very good natured in that task.
  3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

the better choice is a curtis
  4. Tarkus

5. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have my Snoway on a 96 4Runner and I love it......never any problems either.

6. DenningHill

DenningHill Junior Member

The problem I have w Fisher LD is that they don't list Wrangler as a supported truck. I'm afraid their plow may be too much for a Jeep.
  7. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Pretty much any plow brand will be good for your Jeep, trip-edge or not as long as the springs are tensioned properly. My Meyer has be fine on a 1/4 mile dirt drive way and a gravel parking lot.

On the tires 235's should be fine, that's what I run on by Dakota in the winter in place of the 31's.
  8. Tarkus

For a 98 they should but not for the newest models of that wrangler.
  9. The Sno-Way on my Ranger works great! And the down pressure system, who can beat that!! :)

31 X 10.5 R15 is what I have, if that matters.
  10. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Do a search and decide for yourself. While I have no personal experience with Snow Way plows, they seem to be VERY well regarded by people who know plows.

If I had a 3/4 ton truck, I think I'd go with a different plow (Personally, I'm fond of Fisher, although Blizzard makes a strong argument for themselves. But honestly, all the major manufacturers are fine.)

But for a Jeep or SUV, Snow Way may be hard to beat. It's not a "Residential Use" plow like most of the others. If you have a dealer you like, who's nearby, then that's a pretty good selling point too.

Just my 2 cents... arguably worth that.

Jeff Pierce
  11. Tarkus

I agree too, even though I have never used one, I have never really heard anything bad about them and they have some nice plows for lighter weight vehicals.
  12. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

what does a snoway cost? as for tires you can easily go one size over without any problem. check out the cooper m+s they are not alot of money compared to the big three tire Co. I have put them on my past vehicles and ended up loving them. the mud and snow in cooper has a nice tread pattern for snow and is not that loud on the highway. the discount stores carry them like BJ's etc. 235's should be no problem..