1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 TJ Misfiring

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by ajg1460, Oct 27, 2008.

1. ajg1460

ajg1460 Junior Member
    from Texas

Have a 98 TJ with 107, 000 miles. Check engine light came on last night on the way home. No power when I put my foot into it. It was touch and go, but it got me home. Ran diagnostics and got P0306 cylinder 6 misfire. Going to change plugs, plugs wire distributor cap and rotor this weekend. I have a Ford F150 with similar issues could this be dirty fuel?

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

thats so low mileage for problems. Not likely Dirty fuel, would plug up the fuel filter and have different symptoms. I dont think you have a distributer in the tj. maybe a bad spark plug, bad wire going to the injector, bad injector, bad coil pack. Less likely; burnt valve, blown head gasket, cracked head, leaking intake gasket

3. ajg1460

ajg1460 Junior Member
    from Texas

Ok so I guess I'll go with plugs, plug wires, the cap that the plug wires connect to. Replace fuel filters. Then, since I just swapped out the exhaust manifold, check the bolts that hold the intake and exhaust manifold. Not sure how to troubleshoot the fuel injection system. Whats the best way to check the injectors/wires to the injectors? thanks for the help!

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Get a can of carb cleaner and spray it around the intake-head gasket. when you find the leak you will hear a change in the running of the engine as the cleaner gets sucked in through the air leak. look for a broken wire or loose connector on the injector.

5. ajg1460

ajg1460 Junior Member
    from Texas

Ok thanks again!!!

6. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

I suggest you join this forum and ask there.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Fran

7. CJPlow

CJPlow Member

any update?

8. taterntot101

taterntot101 Junior Member

also try www.jeepsunlimited,com....TONS of great writeups there, too. You will find all the answers you need there....Thanks how I found this site! lol