1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 tahoe

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mikelawtown, Feb 28, 2006.

1. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Just curious should i just crank the tortion bars or add timbrens?. is the ride with timbrens that harsh?
  2. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

I didn't crank my torsion bars in fear of serious damage to my suspension. Instead I went with timbrens and am very happy. The ride is stiffer, but you don't bottom out you suspension going over a bump or pulling in to a parking lot too fast. Also, cranking the bars on a 1998 might be asking for trouble because that suspension is getting up their in age!

just my two cents,
  3. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

I cranked the bars a couple turns AND added Timbrens. Rides like a real truck now. Forget about the nice ride it used to give. But I like it.:cool:
  4. mikelawtown

from Mass

Sorry ,i forgot to ask if anyone has pics of their tahoe with a plow?.Thanks
  5. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

I have a whole bunch of pics of mine on the site. Do a search in the pics forum for "Tahoe". A couple other guys have some pics of their's too. There aren't too many of us out there :cool: :D
  6. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I put timbrens on my 97 up front, plus my mechanic turned the Torsion bars up to the "top of the factory specs" since they had sagged a little over the years. (I'm sure they could be turned up more, but it's fine how it is - I didn't want any lift)

I can honestly say that I do not feel the timbrens at all, but they do hold the plow up. I figured I would be taking them in and out each winter but it would be pointless since it has no effect on ride comfort at all.

I will say that the timbrens on a 1/2 ton chevy are probably a bit more involved than most installation because you have to install a little offset bracket with two (different size) bolts. And you have to turn the bolt around on one of the shocks so it doesn't interfere. I still think it took me less than an hour to do the install, I think it is crucial to make sure you thoroughly clean the area where the factory bump stop was to make sure you are not installing the timbren bracket with dirt between it and the frame.

7. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

You could upgrade the t bars to a higher rated set. I would add timbrens anyways. Mine just make contact in the front with the plow raised but are more for bumps and dips in the road to keep the suspension from bottoming out with the plow on. If they are in contact all the time with the plow off it will firm up the ride a bit and improve cornering and handling.
  8. mikelawtown

from Mass

98 is now sold..couldnt pass up the $$ i got....so i just bought a 96 for 3600 not bad but has 175k on it..runs and drives like it has 40k..really..It didnt come with any keyless remote..can i see if it had one from the factory looking up the vin#..?.....If not can anyone recomend a place in Mass for the remote starter and electric door locks/ alarm?