1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 Silverado 3rd door whistle?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 7d9_z28, Jan 14, 2012.

1. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

So, (obviously) I have a 98 Silverado, with the third door. and at 70 mph (ON THE DOT, unless its a windy day, then a little sooner) I start to hear a whistle from the passenger side. I had thought initially that it was the window on the third door, but have ruled that out. So my best guess is that the seal (or lack there of) in the doors that are causing this. Any ideas? any repairs? it seems like from the top down to about half way, I have some sort of seal, but the bottom half, there is no seal? common?

:mechanic:

thanks in advance for any help, ideas, or even replies!

2. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

wipe vaseline around the weather stripping for a quick fix

3. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

I might try that, but what about the bottom half of the door not having any seal?

4. RepoMan1968

theres your problem:eek:

5. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

6. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

yeah mine looks exactly like that. so It was that outer seal i was thinking of. i have the full length inner seal. so, vaseline?
    :confused:

7. RepoMan1968

try it . it works.

8. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

will do, thanks!

9. RepoMan1968

10. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Also, you could check for wear in your door hinges. These bushings may be replaceable. An easy method I use is to open the door and grab the bottom edge,and lift a little to see if you have any freeplay. It's pretty obvious if it is solid or not.

11. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

Hinges are good and tight, i checked about about a week ago when i threw a little white lithium grease on them. But thanks for the idea, if anyone else experiences this issue thats a good thing for them to check!