1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 Sierra 2500 4X4 10foot plow?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Jeffwich, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Jeffwich

Jeffwich Member

The truck is a 98 sierra with 350. Can the truck push the snow of a 10 footer? I know its a lot of weight up front but that's not my concern. Just picked up the truck last week and wondering if i should go smaller. The plow will be 8 foot western with danger wings.
    Thanks Jeff

2. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I'm thinking it will be a pain to transport more than anything else. Once you hit 10' on a non-expanding type of plow, it's time to move up to a medium duty truck.

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

That's a lot of plow for the truck. Like said above its gonna be hard to transport that thing. Also consider in wet snow. You should consider a f450 or 550

4. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

My city is actually running 10's on their 3/4 and 1 tons pickups. It's funny to see them sagging so much up front. They are running come commercial type with a mega chunky frame that's permanently mounted to the truck. Definitely a municipal series plow. It can be done, but the question is should it be done?

5. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Take a look at this,
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=53345&highlight=boss+wings

Now that truck with the Boss is a 3500 but I am pretty sure the front GAWR was 4250 on the early 90's GM trucks. I know my 98 Chev 2500 front GAWR is 4500 and I think it's the same on the same year 3500 GM trucks. Also keep in mind you should weld in some gussets to keep your frame from breaking like it did on the same truck in the link I posted but a 10' wide straight blade maybe a bit too wide for transporting on the road.

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I saw a Natick Mass DPW F350 single wheel a few weeks ago with a huge permanent type plow frame on it. It took up almost the whole front end. The truck was at least a 2008.

7. Jeffwich

Jeffwich Member

Thank you. Just what i wanted to see. It will be either a a 9'6 or 10footer now after reading Alaska boss. About driving with a 10 footer i do it all the time and its not a big deal. I run it at 9 foot to the first job then put the other wing on and it wont come off until I'm done.
    Jeff

8. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

9. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

10. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

What the....??

11. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Neat find Mil, but I can't imagine any of those trucks could possibly be street legal, even in rural Maine?

12. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Neither was the 06 Dodge 2500 I saw yesterday with the old Speedcast setup on it:laughing::laughing: Underhood, pump driven poulley on a Hemi motor! You'd be surprised what you see in rural Maine :dizzy:

13. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I wonder who helped the guy rig that together, B&B or Red Greene.....................:rolleyes:

14. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

This claim is void without pics!!!

15. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I know, I know!! I was heading home from a snowmobiling trip in Aroostook County. I was filling up at the Irving station in Houlton when this Dodge pulled up. It was a 7.5' plow and I noticed the old Speedcast push plates that been modified. I should have asked him to pop the hood :realmad: It had the quick disconnect fittings, hoses run through the grill. It had to be a speedcast setup.