1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 Ram 2500 Transmission

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Polarisrider, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Polarisrider

Polarisrider Member

hey guys, got an issue with my 98 ram 2500, its got a 5.9 gasser with an auto transmission. Truck seems to hesistate when shifting, I can rev the crap out of it in 2nd and have to let off and sometimes it will shift. Ive checked my fluid and its right where it should be.

Based on some research the most common problem is the governor pressure switch and sensor. Has anyone had this problem or anything related to what it might be.

2. mksent02

mksent02 Member

It's common, I've replaced them in a few used trucks over the years. If they're malfunctioning because of debris you could be out of luck. You should adjust the bands while you're in there, and of course a new filter. Good luck.

3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

What he said^

4. Polarisrider

Polarisrider Member

thanks, its going to the tranny shop Monday, I'll let you guys know how she turns out

5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

If they say a rebuild get a second opinion.

6. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

If they say a rebuild get a Chevy.

7. Steve8511

Steve8511 Junior Member

8. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

The most common problem is fluid transfer. The front pump will not flow fluid in Park, when fluid is flowing the Valve Body limits pressure throughout the trans. A simple shift kit install with removal of a check ball helps a lot along with a TC lockup switch to engage the TC when not in overdrive which disipates a lot of heat especially under load. Hope this helps. I have a Fleece Performance trani in mine. 46RH that only needs fluid and filter.

9. Glenn81

Glenn81 Junior Member

You've been out in the cold to long, all a GM is any good for is to use it as a car not a work truck

10. Well said Thumbs Up Love my 2000 & 2001 Rams. I like the solid axels. Great for work. wesport

11. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

Nothing beats a solid front axel for plowing! Even my old 85 w100 half ton had a Dana 45 solid axel. It outlasted my friends 1990 Chevy 2500! Lol!