1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 Ram 2500 needing a motor

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by blk90s13, Oct 23, 2014.

1. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I bought a 98 2500 that needs a motor and after looking around in junk yards and prices and miles I am seeing I may just look for a rusted up 12v cummins truck and swap it out

Anyone did a gas to diesel swap before ? how hard would it be ? giving I would have a complete running truck for parts ?

do I need to get in cab wiring changed out as well ? cluster etc ?

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Common swap Google it.

Easiest to get a donor truck and swap everything. But it's not going to be cheap at all

3. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Not an easy swap. 98 is a change over year and there will be 4 wiring configurations for that truck. If you pull the dash and all the wiring it is possible but you better be prepared.

4. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

i have a 98 gasser too. he is right about the change over year...somethings you need for a 98 some 97 some 99 a real pain in the ass for certain things thats for sure

5. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I went with a 5.9L gas for now and will try and buy a Cummins next year