1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 ram 1500 4x4 keeps cracking transfer cases

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Indianfallsfire, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Indianfallsfire

Indianfallsfire Junior Member

Hello

I am interested in adding my old personal vehicle (as I just bought a 03 ram) as my front line plow truck but I am having an issue with it that neither myself or any mechanic that I have taken it to including a 4x4 specialty shop can figure out what is causing my issue.

First this is a 1998 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with 318 reg cab long box with a 3 inch lift kit in it truck has new jasper motor in it with now 40,000 miles on it and a transmission rebuilt 29,000 miles ago truck itself has 190,000 miles. truck was driven from new by a approx 40 year old lady (so not beat on or anything like that)

It started out that driving done the road when I lost power to accelerate got her to side of the road and truck wouldn't move just revved up and sat there put it in reverse and it would move back about a foot and stop quick like it was tied to something so had it towed home to my warm shop spent that evening taking her apart turns out it shredded every gear, seal, ring, and anything you can imagine in there. both ring and pinion, all but one spider gear, bent and sheered off the pin, mushroomed the axle rods over to the point they were not able to be slid out of the axle tube ok I think you get the picture... Made few phone calls was quoted anywhere from 1600.00 to 3000.00 to rebuild rear end so instead considering I only paid 3 grand for whole truck I looked into used axle found one from a 1996 ram to fit (YES THE GEARING RATIO WAS THE SAME I TRIPLE CHECKED THIS) so long story short next day swapped axles also checked front which visual appeared to be great so put fluids back sealed axles all up drove her away ran amazing...

for an hour with in an hour and at no time was the truck put in to 4x4 during this time I again completely lose all power to go forward only this time reverse works flawlessly so I again tow her home to find the transfer case is cracked completely in half and that the tranny is completely screwed up to the point that myself and a friend of mine who owns his own tranny shop can not disassemble this thing the way it broke the overdrive half of the tranny was unable to be slid out so i go used tranny and transfer case shopping and find one of each and rebuild them and put the truck all back together once again...

truck runs great for about 10 minutes when I try the 4x4 and as I driving down the road I see sparks flying out from under truck pull over and once again the transfer case is completely snapped in 2 again and you can hear all kinds of gear grinding and what not. so I take it home to where it sits now and bought my newer truck...

All anyone can tell me is that it appears to be some kind of an issue originating from front end causing all this issue possible a U joint in one of front wheels other than that guess no one can give me a straight answer. I would like to get this truck fixed and make a nice new plow truck for me so any suggestions or input would be much appreciated.

Thank you

2. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Body lift or suspension?

3. Indianfallsfire

Indianfallsfire Junior Member

I am not that familiar with lifts I bought the truck with it in there. I do not know who put the lift in this truck how long it was in this truck before i bought it or anything about it (seems like I remember asking previous own and she claim she bought it that way) all I can tell you that I know about the lift is that there is a big metal spacer type looking thing in the rear by the axle when I re did the axle (im trying to remember where exactly it was I did the axle over a year ago) but i believe that the spacer thing was on top of the axle between the axle and the big ubolt that attaches the axle to leave spring. as for in the front i dont see anything added except for a bigger coil spring. so based on that info I am guessing its a suspension lift but again I really dont know not fimilar with lifts.