1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 k2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Cooter24, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I just picked up another truck. I am going to put a Blizzard 810 or 860SW on it. What is all needed to be done with the front to handle the weight. Torsion bars and Timbrens? Thanks in advance.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I run a 8.5 XV on my 97 K2500. I just cranked the front end up an inch, it's been OK. Probably looking into Timbrens or something this year though.

3. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I have never had to do the torsion bars before. How do you do it. Normally try to run solid axle trucks, but got a good deal on this regular cab with a bad engine. Hopefully it will make an ok plow rig.

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

First check which bars are in it you might not have to change them. Put some timbrens in her and leter buck. Also do a search on here for gussets for the front end it's a very good idea. A little welding now is better than alot later. BTW you suck I'm looking for 2 of those trucks

5. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Timbrens will keep you safe, but there's nothing you can do to 100% handle the weight of a 950+lb plow on the front of the truck - all you can do is mitigate. I, personally, would not put my 810 on my OBS K2500 - it'll tear up the front end. I was uneasy putting it on my 2006. My 2006 weighed in at 5,340 lb on the front end with my 810 and 2,400 lb of ballast in the back. Gave me a GVW of 10,535. IIRC, the plow prep equipped '98s only had 4250 lb front end ratings, and 8,600 GVWR. Just sayin...

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The gussets are extremely important. My frame is cracked on both sides. I need to get it fixed real soon. As for adjusting the bars it's real simple. You can do some searching for details, but basically there is a "pork chop/key" on the aft end of the T-bar in a crossmember. The end of the key has an adjusting bolt. Uses an 18mm socket. Some guys like to jack the truck up to take some weight off the T-bar. Just crank both sides a couple of turns and take it for a ride. See how it looks. Do yourself a favor and coat the whole adjusting bolt with some Fluid Film.

7. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Thanks for the help. I will do some searching on the gussets. Doesn't sound to difficult.

8. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Keep in mind, that the gussets will not allow you to hold more weight. The gussets only fix a potential problem with putting any plow on the front end. You're going to have to add something else like Timbrens or Air-over-Shocks to support the extra weight.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Well, when you lift the blade, 100% of the weight IS on the front end. So the truck "handles" it. I have run my XV for two full seasons. Lots and lots of plowing. The route is spread out, so there alot of miles carrying the blade on crappy roads. I put ball joints on the truck, but they had almost 100K on them. They were due, and poorly maintained thanks to the crappy speedy lube that I no longer visit. Thats it. CV shafts, wheel bearings, everything is fine.

The first season I ran the plow without any mods. Didn't even crank the Tbars. The tires scrubbed the fenders a couple of times on bad frost heaves, so I cranked it up before last season. Never had any additional trouble. My truck is an extended cab, loaded. So it has much more weight in the front than a typical reg cab. The ONLY thing Timbrens or air shocks (which I have not been able to find for our trucks) do is take some of the load off the T-bars. They do not take any weight off the wheel bearings or ball joints. They do not reduce stress on tie rods or CV shafts.

Cooter, if you can get the truck to sit level just by turning the bars up, you are OK. Timbrens can help with frost heaves, or when the truck gets pulled down by the plow under a snowbanking. Heavier T-bars are available to. I think code XG are the strongest. You won't have any trouble with those.

10. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

How do you tell what torsion bars are in the truck? Do these wear out with age and time. Just wondering if they would be able to be sourced from a junk yard or the parts counter.