1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 K2500 Shift cable

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PowersTree, Dec 19, 2013.

1. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Ok, what can some of you mechanics fill me in on with the shift cable on a 98 K2500.

This is the second time, on two different trucks, where I have had issues with the shift cables.

Both times, when shifting from park, the lever moves, and the rod just bends, and doesnt move the cable.

Are there any adjustments I should be inspecting, or known trouble parts that I should replace as I am changing the cable? The last truck that did it started bending a cable about every three or four months, Im hoping to avoid that issue with tthis one.

:mechanic:

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What rod is bending?

3. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

The part of the cable, closest to the shift lever, is made up of a small rod that comes out of the cable housing, and connects to the shift lever. It is actually the cable, but not the soft flexible part. They bend right where they enter the cable housing.

4. dieselss

Ok if you pull that off at the shifter can you move the cable by hand? Take it off at the trans and see if that changes anything. I'm thinking its in s bind or frozen

5. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

I will try that. I havent pulled it apart yet. Crawled under it and shifted it into gear and drove it home. I did notice that after I shifted it under the truck, I could get the shift lever to select from r-n-d but it wouldnt hit park or 2-1.

Heading out to tear it apart now.

6. dieselss

There is adjustment as well but I think yous is to far out.

7. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Thanks Diesel!

8. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

This one ended up being a bad cable. The plastic sheathing around the cable was all broken up right under my feet, causing the cable to bind.

Wasnt bent where Im used to seeing them bent.

9. dieselss

Ok. My only .02 on the subject is to take the seat out or loose. That's the easiest I have found to do them.

10. vlc

vlc Senior Member

That's the same spot where mine was worn through. Glad you got it figured out.

11. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Fluid film them once a year

12. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Fluid film underneath the carpet on a plastic piece that gets crushed over time by your boots?? The cable wasn't bound, the plastic sheathing around it had crumbled, allowing the cable inside to flex and not run the trans through its pattern.

I cheated, I cut my carpet out.........rhino liner here I come. The carpet in this truck was TRASHED though.

13. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I had the same thing happen, and the shift cable was going to take a week to get in, so I rigged it with a piece of brake line because snow was in the forecast. I ordered the new shift cable, and it is still sitting on the shelf. The brake line fix has been going for 2 years now, and I never seem to have the time to tear things apart and replace it.

14. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

This is the second time I have had one fail the night before a storm. First time...........it was an ordered part. Three days..........from EVERYONE. So I pulled the cable to get it into gear, and shut it off when I wanted to park, crawled under slid it into park at the trans......to do it all over again. Thankfully that was only a shovel truck. Couldnt have done that this time.....but I love the brake cable idea.