1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 K1500 idle issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 70monte, Dec 12, 2010.

1. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Recently I've noticed that my 98 K1500 with the 5.7L is idling higher in park as well as in gear. In park its idling at around 950 rpms vs the 700 rpms it idled at before. In gear at a stop, its at about 750 rpms vs the 650 before. I did notice today that after I shut the truck off and then started it up later that the idle and in gear at a stop rpms were normal. As I drove the truck, they rose to the higher levels.

I assume the IAC controls the idle on this truck but is there anything else to look at on the particular truck? I read the "stumped" post on the older chevy truck idle issues but didn't know if the same advice applies to this newer truck.

The truck has no CEL and runs great. It actually idles smoother than normal and has plenty of power. When it gets a little warmer I will put my scanner on it and see If I see any abnormal readings.

I'm not really worried at this point just wanted to know what to look at if this situation gets worse. Thanks.

Wayne