1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 gmc plow truck

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by kylegmc3500, Jan 7, 2010.

1. kylegmc3500

kylegmc3500 Member

i want to know if i got a good deal. i just bought a 98 gmc sierra 3500 single wheel one ton with 8 foot fisher mm1. truck is in very good condition as far as paint and interior. absolutely no rust or rot. the truck only had a plow on it for the last year and its never towed or even had a hitch on it. it has a 5.7 (350) vortec motor almost new all terain tires. the only downfalls are that the battery has a broken terminal, and when u turn on the high beams all the lights shut off and it has 205,000 thousand miles on it,othor than that it has a brand new inspection sticker. what do you think it was worth and did i get a good deal sense i paid 3600 cash for it thanks

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i dunno 205k is ALOT of miles to me on a 350.

3. mypolaris1

mypolaris1 Member

Probably not to bad. I bought a 2000 old body style 1 ton this past spring for $4000. Had 150,000 on it. No plow though. Came from a dealer and low balled him, it had a $6000 tag on it. Bunch of 1 tons just sold @ an auction in Chicago for mid 7's. Course your location is a bit from me so prices may be different.

4. kylegmc3500

kylegmc3500 Member

ya i thought about the miles before i bought it but a friend of mine has a 1500 gmc with 300k and he has had no issues. the truck was to clean and ran to good to pass up. we will see how she holds up. ethir way i like that body style i think i made a good purchase

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Post some pics of the ole girl.

6. kylegmc3500

kylegmc3500 Member

ill have to take some pics of her and figure out how to upload them. i feel spoiled being able to plow in a gm now for the last too years ive been plowing for someone else in a ford most uncomftorble and most problematic trucks ive ever seen he has three a 97 f 350 and a 2007 f350 and a 2008 f 550 all of them are junk

7. mypolaris1

mypolaris1 Member

350s will run forever man. I've got a 454 in the one I just bought but she runs strong and no leaks. I had a 93 gmc with 350, over 300,000miles and still strong motor. that style of GM trucks are strong and build tough. Parts are easy to find and not to bad a price either.

8. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I think that you got a pretty decent deal there.... It's hard to find those older trucks in good shape and the way you describe yours sounds to be in good shape... I had a friend that had one i think it was a 96... He beat the living snot out of it... sold it with an 8ft MM1 for about $4k with over 250k miles on it and this was 2 years ago... I saw it a few weeks ago plowing in a parking lot... The way I look at it... those 350's are a dime a dozen... If something were to go wrong, you could pick another engine up for close to nothing and be good to go.... Lets see some pics!!!

9. fitch

fitch Junior Member

i got a 98 Chevy 3500, with 252,000 on the it. Had a plow on it since brand new. Other than original maint. the only major thing was a transmission last season. I still choose to drive it daily over my 2008. Trucks been good... real good! If you take care of them, we all know they will~ I think ya got a good price on it, ecspecially seeing as it had a blade.

10. fingers1126

fingers1126 Junior Member

i just bought a mint 1997 chevy 2500hd brand new tires and clean chassis no rot at all on body what so ever..... mileage 212000.. i was too a little skeptical but it is a chevy truck runs like it just left thelot quiet suspension and engine of course 350....... come on 300k.....good luck too all w/high mileage chevys