1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 gmc k3500 gas guage

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by the new boss 92, Feb 3, 2013.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i just picked up a 98 k3500 drw 4x4 the other day. i bought it with a broken gas gauge so i have no idea whats going on with it. i was doing a little reserch on it the other day and found so many possibilitys with it i just dont know what to do. i do know that im going to clean the frame ground for the sending unit that is on top on the frame, but what else should i look for in it? bad sender or gunked up wires?

2. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

bad grounds, bad sender, bad float, bad wires, or a bad dash unit

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Pretty sure the gauge is a floating ground. Cleaning up all those connections at the pump is a good idea, but the ground itself won't fix the situation. Is it a dump? Just pull the pump and see what's going on in there.

4. the new boss 92

No it's a pick up, after this storm tomarrow I'm gonna look at It more and see what going on with it

5. the new boss 92

Does anyone know if a s10 blazer cluster will plug in so I can see if the cluster is bad? Then I will get the right one for my truck?