1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 GMC, 5.7 Fuel pump?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cutcrew, Feb 8, 2007.

1. cutcrew

cutcrew Junior Member
    from MN

1998 GMC 2500 w/5.7.

Whenever the fuel guage reads below 1/2 tank the truck stalls. I have replaced the fuel filter and it did not help.Happened again today and I was prepared with 10 gallons of gas in gas cans. Added 10 gallons, bringing guage to near full. Truck would start, run for 30 seconds, die and not restart. Let it sit for an hour. It started right up and drove me several miles home with no problems.

Fuel pump? Junk in tank clogging intake??

Any experience or insight appreciated.

2. doh

doh Senior Member

Fuel pump is shot, Have a pressure test done for sure but they are not known for thier longevity

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, sound's like the fuel pump. Not at all uncommon on the '96 and newer GM's.Get your wallet out as the "fuel module" assembly (as GM call's it) are pretty pricey.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

you have any pics of your truck?? i love the late k series years

5. cutcrew

cutcrew Junior Member
    from MN

Sorry no pictures.

Can relate to the lack of snow and too much cold. We did have some snow earlier this week and it was unusually cold when it happened. Like plowing feathers.

6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Fuel Pump, Pressure Regulator....... Get a tester. It shouldn't loose more than 12 pounds I believe. I've had 3 pumps - the current one was the charm!

7. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

I have had my 98 gmc k1500 4 years and put in 3 fuel pumps last time I got a rebuild kit that has a new inproved pump and filters off ebay if you look up fuel pumps\ modules you can find it . the guy is a whole seller and stands behind the parts The first one he sent me only lasted 4 months he mailed a new one out before I returned it . a added plus its much less noisey

8. THE05HD

THE05HD Member
    from WI

GET THE FUEL PUMP REPLACED.

I JUST PUT ONE IN ON MONDAY, THAT WAS DOING SIMLAR THINGS.

THE PUMP ASSEMBLY IS AROUND $375.00

NOT CHEAP.

GOOD LUCK