1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'98 GMC 4X4 wierd noise help!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by FLASHMAN, Sep 22, 2008.

FLASHMAN Member

going down the road, it kind of sounds like one of the auto hubs is engaging/disengaging by itself, but not sure... I get a hum coming from the area of the transfer case... any ideas???
  2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

The hum maybe coming form a drivershaft support bearing.I dont think reg cab trucks have them. If it has one on ur truck, it can make a noise like that from that area. The other noise I kind of need more info on it. When does it make it all the time or turning ?
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2008

FLASHMAN Member

Neither, it's random... Sometimes driving in a straight line.... now that I've made it a point to listen to it on purpose, it sounds like it may be a bearing/hub...
  4. tuna

tuna Senior Member

That truck does not have auto hubs it has a center axle disconnect.I would check the drive chain in the T-case it might be jumping.
  5. SS2500HD

SS2500HD Junior Member

i would check the muffler bearings, and the blinker fluid