1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'98 GMC 3500 enhancements for a Plow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Big Matt, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Big Matt

Big Matt Junior Member

Good afternoon.

Just purchased a 1998 GMC 3500 with the 454 engine, crew cab, full bed and dual rear wheels. We bought it for our farm which will need a 1300 ft+ drive plowed. There is no factory plow prep package installed. What needs to be done to the truck in order to install a 7.5' plow? Suspension? Alternator? Nothing? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

2. towman

towman Member

with a 7.5 plow you should be good to go with being stock, we have run 8 footers on smaller trucks with no real problmns
  3. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Maybe a bigger battery with todays electric plows. With dual wheels I would look at bigger blades maybe 8.5 or 9 foot. With a single wheel half ton and a 7.5 my wheels sometimes run in the snowbank when the balde is at full angle and going around a curve. Check the plow specs for width at full angle and compare to your rear track width.
  4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

If its just for your drive then a 7.5 LD will work, a bigger blade will help keep you from driving over your outer wheels with the long wheelbase if you have your blade angled and are turning but for just your drive, especially if the drive is fairly straight a small light duty blade will work. I like fisher/western. Put a deccent amount of ballast in the back of that truck and secure it behind the rear wheels(maybe 500#'s if you get lots snow and have traction problems). For just your drive a different alternator or the like isnt needed. As long as you arnt driving around town with it(no reason to with todays easy off/on mounting systems) suspention upgrades wont be needed.

If this changes from "just my drive" to grandma's too and we might as well do the quicky mart then things change fast. But for what you are asking it will work.
  5. Big Matt

Big Matt Junior Member

Thanks for the help guys. There will be days that my wife will be driving it to work needing the 4x4, should we make sure to drop the plow before leaving or is there something I can do to make this a little easier on the truck? Appreciate all the help.

6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

If your wife has to drive it for any distance you might want to take the plow off first. It only takes 30 seconds and its alot less wear on the truck. Stock will be fine for just your drive, but if it was me i would make the upgrades anyways. Even if you don't think so you end up doing more then your own drive. as soon as people find out that you have a plow they will all call you the first storm thats too big for them to shovel. Iam sure your wife could handle the plow while driving to /from work, i would leave the plow on during a storm. I usually put the plow on a few hours before the storm and don't take it off until iam sure all clean up is complete. Don't be like some dumb people who leave their plows on their brand new trucks all winter even if it hasent snowed for weeks:rolleyes:
  7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

It will be a bit easier on the truck but, This is mostly for your wifes driving saftey. I would yank it off when ever its not in use. If there is a planned storm you may hook it up and let it sit in the drive just so you dont have to do it in a blizzard but dont go parading around town with it. Put weight in the rear, a dually is worse in the snow than a SRW truck. A plow on the front will take even more weight off the rear end. It can also be a PITA to manuver with a blade. You arnt out to make money so you don’t have to worry about being ready at a moments notice. But having a plow in a snow storm is like winning the lottery, you will find friends that you never knew existed LOL. Its like when people know you have a 4x4 truck, how many of you guys have gotten a call at 4am “dude, you got tow straps right” :rolleyes: Oh well….. Be very sure of what plowing you may get into. This set up is fine for your own drive but it changes rapidly if you decide to take on accounts. There are a ton of otherthings required to do it right, insurance is the biggy. And you should look at another plowing set up
  8. gpin

gpin Senior Member

On the battery issue, when you chage it ask about a deep cycle marine battery. On my GMC dump, there is only room for 1 battery. The deep cycle battery was only $40 extra.