1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 Gmc 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by F350plowing, Sep 17, 2011.

1. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

So my boy wants to get into plowing. Hes got a 98 GMC sierra 1500 ext cab 5.7L 4x4. What do you all think of that for like a 8 foot western and some weight in the bed? Just for a season or 2 until i get some more funds in the company to afford another new truck. Anyone use a truck like that? any mods you had to do?
  2. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

I run a 95 1500 with a 7.5 western I put timbrens up front and run around 800 lbs of ballast.
  3. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i would say go with the 8 footer aslong as you are not travling far with it on and it comes off between storms. i think you can legaly run it according to westerns web site but to save some front end parts i would dismount that big of a blade from a half ton when not in use!
  4. 1/2tonthatcould

1/2tonthatcould Member
    from MA

the torsion bars in these trucks are to light almost for a 7'6 foot plow, the front end sags quite a bit. this can be done but you need to use timbrens. i also plan to run a 8 ft fisher of my 98 chev 1500 this season
  5. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

the truck in my avator was the 1500 i used for 3 plowing seasons with a boss 7'6 sumer duty. have 2 inch lift kit. i removed the rear blocks and added air bags. i sold the truck and now have a 2500 truck because of the towing and plowing i do. the 2500 with only have the 7'6 still but i plan on upgrading to a 8'2 v mid season or at the begining. if i had to buy another straight blade for half to x-cab short bed i would do an 8 footer for clerance on the wheels.
  6. mule585

mule585 Member

The plow in my avatar is a 7-6 western on the same truck as yours. I use 600# of sand in the back. It drops the front about an 1"-1/2 with the plow up. Great truck to plow with it will push snow like a champ. Also this plow is for sale.